A simple vegan ricotta recipe that is gluten-free, healthy and oil free. Only 8 ingredients required. Perfect as a dip for crackers, raw veggies and more !
I am always looking out to try new vegan recipes. A long time ago, I tried making a vegan eggplant lasagna that was honestly not that good. ( I probably should just use normal lasagna pasta instead of eggplant. ) But I do really like the ricotta cheese component in it, though. Although I never had ricotta cheese before, I kinda get the hype of it. Creamy and flavourful, it is actually pretty good !
Recently, I had been craving ricotta and decided to dig for some vegan ricotta recipe. After doing some research ( and testing out different variation ), I came to the conclusion that the combination of tofu and cashews make a good ricotta base.
But there is a problem here.
There are always chunks of cashews in my ricotta, no matter how long I blend ! After brainstorming, I decided to try using cashew butter in place of cashews. The ricotta turns out to be perfect ! It is smooth, creamy and flavourful. It is now one of my go-to dip recipe. 🙂
Here are some ways to enjoy your vegan ricotta :
- Spread it on toast ! Then, add some scramble tofu on top if you are feeling FANCY.
- Use it as a pasta sauce. Simply thin the ricotta with some pasta water. ( The water you use to cook your pasta in). Add in some lemon zest for that lemon-y flavour. Try this simple ricotta and spinach linguine by This Savory Vegan
- Use it as a dip ! You can literally dip anything in it, from raw veggies to crackers. It is a perfect hack to sneak in more veggies into your diet.
- Use it as a topping for pizza.
- Simply have it as it is. ( No explanation needed for this )
If you are a fan of dips ( like me ! ) Then you may like my chocolate brownie batter dip.
Vegan Ricotta Cheese ( healthy and easy ! )
- Start by heating up some oil in a pan. Add in the onion and garlic and let it saute for a few minutes, or until the onions are translucent. ( skip the oil to make it oil free )
- Add in all ingredients in your food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve and enjoy !
- You can substitute the cashew butter with raw cashews. Simply soak ⅛ cup of cashews overnight. Alternatively, you can soak it in hot water for 20 minutes.