This flavorful eggy vegan silken tofu scramble makes a great high protein breakfast ! Incredibly quick & easy to make, hearty & satisfying. Ready in 15 minutes & only requires 5 ingredients.
Other than my curry tofu scramble, this silken tofu scramble is one of my go-to when it comes to savory breakfast options. They are really easy to make, and is ready under 15 minutes. Plus, tofu contains decent amount of protein that will keep you fuller for longer!
🧄What you will need
📓Notes / Substitutions
- Tofu - Silken tofu can also sometimes be labelled as " soft tofu " or " Japanese-style tofu" and can be used interchangeably. You can use extra firm or firm tofu instead if soft scramble eggs are not your cup of tea.
- Turmeric powder - adds a subtle yellow color to this silken tofu scramble, but feel free to omit if the flavor is too overpowering for your liking.
- To make it taste extra eggy, use kala namak in place of salt.
- Oil-free - To make this oil-free, cook the tofu without oil, but I do recommend using a well seasoned cast iron skillet or nonstick pan.
🔪How to make
Heat up ½ tablespoon of oil in a non-stick pan on medium heat. Add the drained tofu block into the pan. Using a spatula, break them into large chunks.
Cook for 6-8 minutes, turning them halfway, until tofu stop releasing water. This helps remove excess moisture from the tofu thus preventing watery tofu scramble.
Add in garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric, nutritional yeast and black pepper into the pan. Gently break the tofu into smaller pieces and stir until seasonings are well incorporated.
Top it with extra black pepper before serving !
🥓How to serve
- Serve it the classic way alongside some toast and avocado.
- Pair it with red lentil tortillas and salsa to make breakfast tacos.
- Or, you can make vegan breakfast fry-up by plating it up with some plant-based sausages, roasted potatoes or hash browns and baked beans.
- It also work really well as sandwich or bagel filling.
- Be sure to use a good non-stick pan, especially if you are cooking without oil. Soft tofu tends to stick to pan relatively easily.
- Pan-fry tofu until golden and water stop seeping out. This will help remove excess moisture and prevent tofu from turning to mush.
- Use kala namak to make it extra eggy. Do add kala namak after turning off heat as its eggy flavor will diminish upon cooking.
- Feel free to add in vegetables of choice. But do cook veggies before adding them to tofu scramble.
❔Commonly asked questions
This silken tofu scramble will stay good in the fridge for 3-4 days. To store, let it cool down completely before transferring it to a sealed container and refrigerating it.
To make silken tofu scramble oil-free, simply omit the oil when cooking the tofu. You will need to use a well-seasoned cast iron skillet or non-stick pan.
It really all comes down to personal preference. If you are looking for a silky, soft texture, silken tofu is your best bet. But if you like yours to have more texture and chew to them, opt for extra firm or firm tofu instead.
Turmeric is what gives tofu scramble a nice, subtle yellow color. A little goes a long way when it comes to turmeric, do not overdo it as it might affect the flavor of this dish. You can also omit it if you are not a fan of spices.
🥯More vegan high protein breakfasts
If you did make this recipe, do leave a rating and comment down below, we love hearing from you! Subscribe to My Plantiful Cooking to get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest to get the latest updates. 😉
Silken Tofu Scramble
- 1 carton silken tofu drained ( about 12 oz) *
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder optional**
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat up ½ tablespoon of oil in a non-stick pan on medium heat. Add the drained tofu block into the pan. Using a spatula, break them into large chunks.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes, turning them halfway, until tofu stop releasing water. This helps remove excess moisture from the tofu thus preventing watery tofu scramble.
- Add in garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric, nutritional yeast, salt and black pepper into the pan. Gently break the tofu into smaller pieces and stir until seasonings are well incorporated.
- Top it with extra black pepper before serving !
Nutrition info calculated is just a rough estimate and is provided as a courtesy. Bear in mind that value will vary based on variables like specific brand or type of product used. To obtain the most accurate representation, it is highly recommended that you calculate it on your own with the actual amount and type of ingredient used.