Soft and chewy, these healthy PB2 peanut butter powder cookies are lower in fat and calories than the traditional ones! These delicious, rich cookies also happens to be vegan, dairy-free and high protein. Ready in 20 minutes and only 5 ingredients needed.
These PB2 cookies has been my latest dessert obsession! They are incredibly chewy and decadent, yet wholesome and secretly good for you. They also make a great protein snack that is easily portable and can be taken with you on-the-go!
🥜What is peanut butter powder
Powdered peanut butter, or also sometimes known as peanut flour, is made by removing oil in peanuts, before dehydrating and grinding them into a fine powder. It has been gaining popularity as a lower calorie option to peanut butter. Although it only contains a fraction of the calories of normal peanut butter, this powdered form is still incredibly rich and bold in flavor.
To use, simply thin 2 tablespoons of peanut powder with 1-1 ½ tablespoon of water. You can then use it as a spread, in sauces and dressings or any other recipes that calls for peanut butter!
💚Why you will love this recipe
- Healthy, lower in fat and calories - PB2 is used as a substitute for normal peanut butter, making these cookies lower in calories and higher in protein than traditional ones. They are also oil-free and low sugar, making them the perfect healthier alternative to curb your sweet tooth.
- Easy and quick to make - One bowl and 5 simple ingredients is all you need, and they are ready in under 20 minutes.
- Freezer and meal prep friendly - Whip up a large batch and store them in the freezer. You will then have something healthy to grab when your sweet craving hits!
- Easily portable - They make a great snack or lunch box dessert that can be taken with you to work or school.
🍪What you will need
📓Notes / substitutions
- PB2 - Feel free to use other brands of powdered peanut butter in place like PBfit or Peanut Butter & Co ones.
- Maple syrup - Can be substituted with other liquid sweetener like agave syrup or even honey, if not vegan. To make PB2 cookies lower in calories, you can use imitation / sugar-free maple syrup instead of the real ones.
- Oat flour - Use gluten-free, if needed. If you do not have any on hand, simply blend some rolled oats in the blender until they are finely ground, for about 30-60 seconds.
🔪How to make
Preheat oven to 180C / 350F.
In a medium bowl, combine ⅓ cup of peanut butter powder together with 4 tablespoons of water. Next, add peanut butter and maple syrup into the bowl and mix well.
Mix in oat flour, rest of the PB2, along with oat flour and baking powder. Mix until everything is well incorporated and a dough is formed.
Roll dough into balls, about 1.5 tablespoon per ball. (I like using a trigger cookie dough spoon to make the process easier.) Slightly flatten them before using a fork to make a crisscross indent.
Bake for 6-8 minutes, or until edges are firm. Let it cool for 5-10 minutes before digging into them!
- Do not use ground peanuts in place of powdered peanut butter. Ground peanuts are essentially made by grinding whole peanuts, and unlike PB2, they are insoluble in water.
- Measure flour correctly - The best way is to measure them using a food scale. (I am using this Ozeri scale and highly recommend it.) But if you choose to measure with measuring cups, spoon flour into cups and level off excess, as oppose to scooping flour directly from the bag using your cups.
- Avoid overbaking cookies - As these PB2 cookies are lower in fat, they tend to turn dry and crumbly when overbaked. Take them out of the oven when the edges appears firm, but the center still look slightly undercooked. They will continue to cook out of the oven.
- If you are enjoying them the day after, I highly recommend heating them up in the oven at 180C / 350F for 5-8 minutes, or in the microwave for 15-20 seconds. They are best when they are slightly warm!
✨Variation + optional add-ins
- To make chocolate flavored PB2 cookies, you can either use chocolate PB2 or add in 2-3 tablespoons of cocoa powder.
- Throw in your favorite chocolate chips (love these Enjoy Life morsels) or chocolate chunks to make them extra sweet and decadent!
- Chop up a handful of peanuts and mix them in to give these cookies some extra texture and crunch.
- Sprinkle them with either powdered sugar or sea salt flakes immediately after they are done baking.
❔Commonly asked questions
Peanut butter powder is usually only made from plant derived ingredients like defatted peanuts, sugar and salt, making them naturally vegan.
You can find powdered peanut butter in almost all well-stocked groceries, usually in the spread aisle beside normal peanut butter. You might also find them in health food stores or specialty stores.
Or, purchase them online through a retailer like Amazon.
PB2 cookies can be stored outside for 2-3 days. They are freezable too, and can be frozen for up to 3 months.
To freeze, first place them in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, then freeze for 1-2 hours until they had frozen. You can now transfer them into storage bags or containers before placing them in the freezer.
To reheat, allow peanut butter powder cookies to thaw at room temperature. You can then either heat them in the oven for 5-8 minutes at 180C / 350F, or in the microwave for 15-20 seconds until thoroughly warmed.
🍽More healthy desserts
If you did make this recipe, do leave a rating and comment down below, we love hearing from you! Subscribe to My Plantiful Cooking to get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest to get the latest updates. 😉
Healthy PB2 Peanut Butter Powder Cookies
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F.
- In a medium bowl, combine ⅓ cup of peanut butter powder together with 4 tablespoons of water. Next, add peanut butter and maple syrup into the bowl and mix well.
- Mix in oat flour, rest of the PB2, along with oat flour and baking powder. Mix until everything is well incorporated and a dough is formed.
- Roll dough into balls, about 1.5 tablespoon per ball. (I like using a trigger cookie dough spoon to make the process easier.) Slightly flatten them before using a fork to make a crisscross indent.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes, or until edges are firm. Let it cool for 5-10 minutes before digging into them!
Reheating - Allow peanut butter powder cookies to thaw at room temperature. You can then either heat them in the oven for 5-8 minutes at 180C / 350F, or in the microwave for 15-20 seconds until thoroughly warmed.