Fudgy and gooey vegan salted caramel blondies that are made up of chickpeas. This recipe is super healthy, flourless and can be made gluten-free !
I know what are you thinking - chickpea in baking ?! I have to admit I was also quite skeptical the first time making chickpea blondies. But surprisingly, chickpea works really well in this recipe ! It gives the blondies a soft, buttery texture and I promise you cant taste the chickpeas. 🙂
Traditional salted caramel oftentimes contains cream and butter. Hence why in this recipe we are using dates, tahini and salt to give our blondies a rich salted caramel flavor.
What are blondies
Blondies are just brownies but without the cocoa ! Sometimes referred to " blond brownies ", they are really similar to brownies when it comes to the texture. Both are buttery and super gooey, hence a perfect sweet treat to end your meal !
What you will need
- Chickpeas - Canned or cooked chickpeas works well in this recipe.
- Rolled oats - Help hold the blondies together, and works as a flour substitute.
- Tahini - When paired with dates, it works really well as a salted caramel substitute ! I prefer using hulled tahini, as it is slightly less bitter than the unhulled ones.
- Dates - The main sweetener in this recipe. I am using medjool dates here, but you can use any dates you have on hand.
- Baking powder - slightly lifts the blondies, giving it a lighter texture.
- Salt - Brings out the flavor profile of the blondies. And also, what is salted caramel without salt ?
List of substitutions / optional add-ins
Following the ingredients listed in this recipe will give you the best results, but here are some adaptations, if needed.
To make this recipe gluten-free, simply use gluten-free oats in place of regular oats. And you can sub the oats with oat flour, but bear in mind that you might need a little less .
For the add-ins, go as crazy as you like ! I can picture some chopped pecans and walnuts in here, but feel free to add-in whatever sounds good to you. 😉
How to make
- Soak your dates in hot water for 20 mins. You can skip this if your dates are really moist.
- Preheat oven to 180c. Start by turning the oats into oat flour by whisking it in a food processor/ high speed blender.
- After the oats are turned into flour, add in the rest of the ingredients and blend until a smooth paste forms. Now, you might have to add a splash of plant based milk to reach a consistency that resembles cookie dough.
- Place the dough into a lined 8x8 inches square baking pan. Smooth out the dough using a spatula.
- Bake it in the oven for 20-25 mins, or until the edges are slightly browned.
- Let it cool in the baking tray, slice and serve !
How to store + freeze
Leftover blondies can be stored at the counter for about 1-2 days. After that, it is recommended you refrigerate it. Blondies will last in the fridge for about 1 week.
The good thing about these blondies is that you can totally freeze them ! To freeze them, simply cut them into squares. Place them one layer on a baking tray or large plate and freeze them. After they had frozen ( about 2-3 hours ), you can transfer them to a ziplock bag or freezer-friendly container.
To heat up frozen blondies, let them thaw and reheat them in the microwave or oven. You will then have dessert ready to-go !
Here are more healthy vegan dessert recipes that you may like
- Sugar-free vegan Black Bean Brownies
- Healthy Vegan Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
- Vegan Sweet Potato Brownie Cookies
- Vegan Puffed Quinoa Chocolate Bliss Balls
Vegan Flourless Salted Caramel Chickpea Blondies
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas ( or 2 15 oz can chickpeas )
- 1 cup rolled oats*
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1 1/2 cups dates, pitted ( about 260g )
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180c / 360f.
- Place the rolled oats into a high speed blender / food processor. Blend until the oats turn into oat flour.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients into the food processor / blender and blend until a smooth paste forms. You may need to add a splash of plant based milk to reach a consistency that resembles cookie dough.
- Transfer the mixture to a lined 8x8 square baking pan. Bake it in the oven for 20-25 mins or until the edges are browned.
- Let it cool in the pan for at least 10 mins before slicing it. Serve and enjoy !