Super fudgy & sweet, this vegan chocolate mug cake makes a really great healthy dessert for snack ! Extremely easy to make & is ready in 5 minutes.
Whether if you are regular gym-goer looking for a high protein post workout snack, a vegan looking to get in more protein or anything in between, give this chocolate protein mug cake a try ! All you need is 5 minutes and 6 simple ingredients.
🎂What you will need
📓Notes / substitutions
- Make this gluten-free by using certified gluten-free oat flour.
- To make these chocolate protein mug cake sugar-free, use a few drops of stevia in place of maple syrup.
- It is recommended to use chocolate protein powder, but vanilla or unflavored ones can also be used. You might need to add more cocoa powder.
- Maple syrup can be substituted with other liquid sweetener like agave syrup or even honey, if not vegan.
- Any kinds of plant milk can be used in this recipe.
🔪How to make
In a mug or ramekin, add in protein powder, oat flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. Mix well.
Next, add in milk and maple syrup. Stir until everything is well incorporated.
Lastly, microwave it for 1 minute. It might take a bit longer if your microwave is lower powered. You will know that they are done when they are no longer soft in the middle.
Serve and enjoy immediately. Optionally, top them with peanut butter or chocolate chips before digging into them !
❔Commonly asked questions
Yes, it is safe to cook with protein powder, whether if you are microwaving or baking it. Cooking does not destroy protein powder, nor it will affect its protein and nutritional content.
The protein will denature and break down slightly, but do not worry about this as it will have no negative impact on the body.
Yes, this chocolate protein mug cake can be made in the oven instead. Bake them in an oven preheated to 350 F or 180 c for 10-15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
You most probably had overcooked the mug cake. When overcooked, it will turn chewy, dry and dense.
Or, your baking powder might have gone bad. To test if yours is still good, place ½ teaspoon into a cup of warm water, and it should start frizzing immediately. If little to no bubbles form, it is time to get a new one.
If this chocolate protein mug cake had turned cold before you have a chance to enjoy it, simply reheat it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds, or until heated. Be careful not to cook it for too long as it will turn rubbery and chewy when overcooked.
🍫More high protein sweet treats
- Coconut Matcha Protein Balls
- Vegan Black Bean Brownies
- Peanut Butter Chickpea Blondies
- Dark Chocolate Dessert Hummus
If you did make this recipe, it will be awesome if you would leave a rating and review in the comments ! Do tag me on instagram @myplantifulcooking, I would really love to see your recreations. 🙂
Chocolate Protein Mug Cake
- In a mug or ramekin, add in protein powder, oat flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. Mix well.
- Next, add in milk and maple syrup. Stir until everything is well incorporated.
- Lastly, microwave it for 1 minute. It might take a bit longer if your microwave is lower powered. You will know that they are done when they are no longer soft in the middle.
- Serve and enjoy immediately. Optionally, top them with peanut butter or chocolate chips before digging into them !