These air fryer potato slices makes a great simple side dish or snack! Super easy to make and is ready in 15 minutes. Super crispy on the outside, yet soft and fluffy on the insides!
Sometimes simple and basic foods are the best! These air fryer potato slices are seriously addictive, and pairs well with literally anything.
💚Why you will love this recipe
- Quick and easy to make - All you need is a few simple ingredients, and they are ready in 15 minutes.
- Healthier alternative - By using an air fryer, we can make ultra crispy potatoes without adding tons of oil to them.
- Versatile and customizable - These baked potato slices pairs well with literally any mains, and you can switch up the seasonings to suit your taste buds.
- No parboiling needed - As we are slicing potatoes into thin slices, they will cook fairly quickly without the need to boil them first. Which means less dishes to clean!
🥔Best potato to use
It is highly recommended to use starchy potatoes instead of the waxy ones to produce the fluffiest and crispiest air fried potato slices. Listed below are some great varieties that are great for roasting:
- Russet potatoes (My personal favorite!)
- Yukon Gold potatoes
- Red potatoes
- Baby potatoes
Sweet potatoes - You can definitely use sliced sweet potatoes in place of regular white ones. Just keep in mind that they cook slightly quicker, so keep an eye on them during the last few minutes of cooking.
🧂What you will need
- Potatoes - As mentioned above, use starchy potatoes like russet or Yukon gold potatoes. Sweet potatoes can also be used, but keep an eye on the last few minutes of cooking as they tend to cook faster.
- Oil-free - Simply omit olive oil.
🔪How to make
Rinse potatoes thoroughly and slice them into ¼ inch slices.
In a mixing bowl, place in potato slices along with olive oil, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Toss to mix.
Place potato slices in your air fryer basket. It is ok to stack them, but be careful not to overcrowd. I usually keep it to 2 layers.
Air fry for 10 minutes, flipping them halfway through. Let them cool down slightly before enjoying!
- Baking potato slices - You can also choose to bake potato slices in the oven. Bake in an oven preheated to 200C/400F for 20-25 minutes, or until golden. There is no need for you to flip them during baking.
- Slice potatoes into similar thickness to ensure that they cook evenly.
- Do not overcrowd your air-fryer, or your potatoes will not cook properly! Depending on the size of your air-fryer, you might have to cook them in batches. I usually just keep it to 2 layers.
- Cooking time might vary slightly depending on size and model of your air-fryer. Hence, I recommend keeping an close eye on your potato at the last few minutes of cooking.
Here are some ideas to spice up your air fryer potato slices! But of course, feel free to add in your favorite spice blend, or come out with your own!
Cajun - Add about ½ tablespoon of Cajun seasoning. Or, you can make your own Cajun seasoning blend if you like.
Mexican - Add in ½ teaspoon or so of cumin and chili powder along with ¼ teaspoon of both paprika and onion powder.
Herb - Toss in up to 1 tablespoon of any fresh chopped herbs like rosemary, thyme, parsley, or a blend of them.
Lemon - Squeeze on some lemon juice before air-frying your potatoes.
🍽How to serve
- Burgers - Serve these air fried potato slices with vegan burger of choice like this black bean burger, or this incredibly meaty vegan protein burger.
- Main dishes - Especially vegan meats like seitan chicken or vegan steak.
- Dipping - Ketchup, ranch, chili sauce, guacamole or even hummus.
- Hearty salads - If you are looking to get in more veggies, try serving your baked potato slices with salads like this protein pasta salad.
- Sausages - One of my favorite combo ever! It is incredibly comforting to pair them with some vegan sausages, especially some vegan Italian sausages or andouille sausages.
❔Commonly asked questions
I have tried both ways, and find the difference to be minuscule. So, if you have some extra time on hand, you can definitely soak your potatoes before air-frying. Just make sure to drain them thoroughly and pat dry using a kitchen cloth before adding in seasonings.
There is no need to preheat your air fryer. Unlike traditional ovens, air fryer instantly release hot air the moment it is being switched on, making it unnecessary to preheat before using.
It is totally up to you! I like keeping the skin on for some extra crunch. However, if you are not a fan, feel free to peel before cooking.
First off all, your potatoes might be wet before air-frying them, and the excess moisture is what cause them to be soggy. Remember to pat potatoes dry using a kitchen towel before adding in the oil and seasonings.
Other than that, you might have overcrowded and place in too many potato slices at once. I recommend keeping it to 2 levels at most. You can cook in batches if your air fryer can't fit them all in one go.
🍽More vegan side dishes
Air Fryer Potato Slices
- 1 lb russet potato (about 3 medium)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- pinch of black pepper
- Rinse potatoes thoroughly and slice them into ¼ inch slices.1 lb russet potato
- Soak potato slices in water for 15-30 minutes. When potatoes are done soaking, drain well and pat them dry using a tea towel.
- In a mixing bowl, place in potato slices along with olive oil, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Toss to mix.1 tablespoon olive oil, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼-1/2 teaspoon salt, pinch of black pepper
- Transfer potato slices in your air fryer basket. It is ok to stack them, but be careful not to overcrowd. I usually keep it to 2 layers.
- Cook at 200C/400F for 15-18 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through. Serve immediatel while warm!
- Slicing potatoes evenly - Make sure the thickness of your potatoes is relatively uniform to ensure that they cook at the same rate.
- Peeling potatoes - It comes down to personal preference; you can leave the skin on or peel it.
- Cooking time - Will hugely depend on the size and model of your air fryer. If this is your first time making this recipe, keep an eye and check on them every 5 minutes or so to prevent them from burning.
Nutrition info calculated is just a rough estimate and is provided as a courtesy. Bear in mind that value will vary based on variables like specific brand or type of product used. To obtain the most accurate representation, it is highly recommended that you calculate it on your own with the actual amount and type of ingredient used.
There's no mention of what temperature to use for air frying. Or did I miss it?
Opps sorry, I had missed that! Just added it to the recipe card, the temperature is 200C/400F.😊