This fresh tomatoes blender salsa recipe is the easiest recipe out there ! All you need is 6 ingredients and 5 mins. Make burritos or dip your chips in it .
Have some leftover summer tomatoes sitting at your counter ? This fresh tomatoes blender salsa is a great way to use them up. The best part is, all you need is a blender, 6 simple ingredients and 5 minutes. Oh, and by pairing them with some tortilla chips, this is the most addicting snack that you cant stop eating. 🙂
Is homemade salsa healthy ?
Homemade salsa is really healthy and is a great way to get in your 5 a day ! Salsa is basically made up of fresh tomatoes with some herbs and spices. Is is packed full of antioxidants and vitamins, thanks to the tomatoes. It is also a great low calories dipping sauce .
What you will need :
- Fresh tomatoes - You can use any tomatoes you like, but make sure they are red and ripe enough. Unripe ones are more sour and have less flavours.
- Cilantro- Feel free to add more or less depending on how " cilantro-y " you want your salsa to be .
- Lemon juice- You can substitute it with lime juice or even vinegar.
- Garlic and onion- They are what brings the flavour profile to a whole new level.
- Cumin and chili powder- In my opinion, they are a must when it comes to salsa. But feel free to leave the chili powder out to omit heat.
- Maple syrup- This is totally optional, but it balanced out the acidity of tomatoes really well.
What is the best tomatoes to use ?
You can use almost any tomatoes for salsa, but be sure to use tomatoes that are ripe and have a vibrant red colour. Unripe tomatoes are more sour and have less flavours to them, so do let them ripen first before using them. To make thick salsa, I would recommend using paste tomatoes like Roma or Beefsteak.
How to prevent / fix watery salsa
If you are using slicing tomatoes ( the type of tomatoes that are really juicy ), chances are your salsa will be thinner and more watery. To prevent that, scoop out the seeds and gel of the tomatoes. Drain them in the colander for 30 mins before using it.
To fix watery salsa, simply drain out the excess liquid from the salsa using a sieve. You can then add back the water slowly until your salsa reaches desired consistency.
Can I freeze salsa ?
Yes, you can totally freeze salsa ! Simply place them in a ziplock bag or a freezer-safe container. Bear in mind that the flavours and texture of defrosted salsa will be a bit off, though. That is why I recommend using frozen salsa in cooking rather then using them as a dipping.
How to use it
- Use it as a dipping for your chips and crackers. ( My fav way to use them ! )
- Add it to your burritos, tacos or quesadillas.
- Make chilies and curries with them.
- Use it as a base for your salad dressing ( check out this easy quinoa salad that uses salsa ! )
- Stir them into your pasta to make taco pasta. ( choosing chia has a really great vegan taco pasta recipe )
- Lastly, make some vegan nachos out of it !
Here are more healthy vegan sides that you might want to check out :
- Healthy hummus recipe
- Vegan ricotta cheese
- Easy veggie pasta salad
- Chunky Watermelon Gazpacho with Cashews by The Offbeat Appetite
Fresh Tomatoes Blender Salsa
- 1 lb tomatoes of choice*
- 1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
- 1 clove garlic roughly chopped
- 1/4 small red onion diced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon chili powder ( omit to avoid heat )
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup ( optional )
- salt, to taste
- Place all ingredients in the blender.
- Let it blend until the salsa reaches desired texture.
- Serve it and enjoy !