Super easy to make black bean and rice recipe that is also vegan & healthy. Comes together in 15 minutes & only requires 5 ingredients.
You are in the right place if you are looking for something quick and easy to fix. This rice and black beans recipe is one of my go-to meal when I am want something quick yet filling.
Healthy and High in Protein
As most of us may know, most plant sources and protein are not considered a " complete protein " as they do not contain all 7 essential amino acids needed by the body. However, simply by combining rice and beans, you can get in all essential amino acids in a meal.
This dish is also packed full of vitamins and minerals. Some of them include iron in black beans and B vitamins in brown rice. Most importantly, it is high in fibre, which many people do not get enough of ! If you are interested in learning more, check out this article by Livestrong .
Here is what you will need -
List of substitutions and add-ins
- I am using brown rice, but any kinds of rice works well. ( white rice, Basmati rice, Jasmine rice etc. )
- Canned black beans or black beans cooked from dried can both be used here.
- You can substitute black beans with any other kind of beans. Beans that works extremely well in this recipe includes red kidney beans, pinto beans and chickpeas. Just make sure to use cooked beans, not dried.
- Throw in some extra veggies like bell peppers, broccoli or corn kernels to bump up the nutrient profile.
- Additional spices that goes well in this recipe includes smoked paprika, Cajun seasoning, red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper. So, add those to really boost the flavour of this dish !
- Lastly, you can add in some hot sauce if you fancy some heat.
How to store + freeze
Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container the in fridge for about 4-5 days.
This dish freezes really well, too ! To freeze it, you have to first let it cool down to room temperature. Then, portion them up accordingly and place them in freezer-friendly containers / zip lock bags. They can last up to 3 months in the freezer.
To reheat frozen black bean and rice, simply let it thaw. Then, reheat it using the stove top method or using the microwave oven. You might want to sprinkle on some water as it tend to dry up in the refrigerator.
More easy vegan mains recipe that you may like :
- Vegan Peanut Noodles With Crispy Tofu
- Crunchy Thai Quinoa Salad
- Simple Homemade Tomato Pasta Sauce
- Vegan Satay Skewers with Peanut Sauce
Easy Vegan Black Beans and Rice
- 1 small red onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained* ( or 3 cups cooked black beans )
- 3 cups cooked brown rice**
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder ( optional )
- 1/2 tsp salt ( more or less according to personal preference )
- Start by heating up some oil in a pan. ( Omit the oil to make it oil-free. ) Place the red onion in and saute till softened and slightly caramelized, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and give it a few toss.
- Place the black beans, cumin, chili powder and salt along with 1/2 cup of water into the pan. Bring it to a boil, then lower the heat to a gentle simmer. Let it cook until the water is mostly absorbed by the beans, about 10-15 minutes.
- Place the rice in and stir-fry it for about 5 more minutes until the rice is heated. serve and enjoy while hot !