Vegan Egg Fried Rice
A vegan egg fried rice that is gluten-free, easy to make & is ready in under 30 minutes. A great high protein & healthy meal that only uses pantry staples!
Do you have days where you are too tired to cook ? Well, this is the perfect dish for you ! It only requires 13 ingredients and minimal chopping needed. All you need is a wok/skillet and you are good to go !
Leftover rice works best in this recipe. After sitting in the fridge for a night, the rice is dried enough to handle. They are less likely to turn soggy when cooking. But if you do not have day old rice on hand, it is totally ok to cook your rice just before making this fried rice. Just remember to let the rice cool down slightly before making this recipe.
Here is what you need for your this recipe :
For the egg portion of this fried rice, I am using tofu. Tofu is definitely one of the best vegan egg substitute. It texture is very similar to the texture of eggs. ( You can probably use Just Eggs, but it is a lot more expensive than tofu. Plus, it is really hard to find them in Malaysia. )
I am using carrots and frozen corns in this recipe, but feel free to sub them with whatever you have on hand. Frozen veggies like green peas and broccoli works well in this recipe, too. The best part about frozen veggies is that you get to omit the chopping part !
I am using brown rice in this recipe. That is what I have right now in my pantry. But it is totally ok to use white rice, too. Fried rice is so versatile that you can literally sub anything for anything.
This recipe is also great for meal prep ! Simply double or triple this recipe and store them in the fridge. They can easily stay fresh in the fridge for up to a week.
Looking for more quick and easy dinner recipes ? Here is a few to get you started :
- Chinese Style Vegan Tofu Mince
- Vegan Sweet and Sour Chickpeas
- Simple Tomato Sauce Pasta
- Vegan Dry Wonton Noodles
Vegan Egg Fried Rice
For the vegan "egg"
- 150 g extra firm tofu
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- pinch of salt
For the fried rice
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 small shallots, thinly sliced ( or 1/2 red onion )
- 1/4 cup corn kernels ( fresh, frozen or canned )
- 1/2 carrot diced
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil ( omit if oil-free )
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce / tamari
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce ( optional )
- Start by making the tofu "egg". In a bowl, crumble the tofu into tiny pieces.
- Add in all the other ingredients for the tofu "egg" into the crumbled tofu and mix well. Set aside.
- Heat up some oil in a pan / skillet. ( Omit oil if you prefer it to be oil free. ) Start to saute the garlic and shallots for a few minutes, or until the shallots are slightly caramelised.
- Next, add in the carrot. Let it cook until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. You may need to add a splash of water to keep things going.
- Add in the rice and tofu " eggs " into the pan along with the frozen corn. Cook until the rice and tofu are fully heated up, stirring constantly.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the green onions. The fried rice is ready to be enjoyed !