Vegan egg fried rice that is made up of scrambled tofu. Super flavourful, customizable & is ready under 30 mins ! A great way to use up leftover rice.
Do you have days where you are too tired to cook ? Well, this is the perfect dish for you ! It only requires 13 ingredients and minimal chopping needed. All you need is a wok/skillet and you are good to go !
What type of rice to use
You may have heard it before but I am going to repeat it again - leftover overnight cold rice works best in fried rice ! This is because the rice are firmer and drier after placing them overnight in the fridge. If you are using freshly cooked rice, chances are the fried rice will turns out to be soggy and mushy.
If all you have is freshly cooked rice, I have a solution for you. Simply spread out your rice in a baking tray / a large plate and place it in the fridge for about 30 mins. Or if you are in a hurry, pop them into the freezer for 10-15 mins and they are ready to be used !
I am using brown rice in this recipe as this is what I have, but feel free to use any types of rice you have on hand. I would say Basmati , white rice or even sushi rice works well, too.
What you will need :
- Tofu- This is use to replace the egg part of the fried rice. I recommend using extra firm tofu, and you wont have to press it as we are gonna crumble them up !
- Nutritional yeast - Gives the tofu an " eggy " flavor.
- Rice- I am using brown rice, but any kinds of rice works well in this recipe.
- Onion and garlic - They are a must in every savory dishes in my opinion. ( and I cant live without them )
- Veggies - Carrots, corns and peas are used here, but to make this easier, you can sub it with frozen mixed veggies instead.
- Soy sauce - Gives this dish a nice umami flavor. You can add more or less, depending on personal preference.
- Sesame oil - I really love how it gives this dish a nutty flavor but feel free to omit it to make this recipe oil-free.
Tips and other variations
- To make this recipe gluten-free, simply sub the soy sauce with tamari.
- Use any veggies you have on hand ! I am using corn, carrots and peas, but feel free to sub it with any veggies. Broccoli, bell peppers and even spinach works great in fried rice.
- Use dark soy sauce if you do have them. It gives this dish a nice, caramelized flavor. You can sub it with vegan hoisin sauce or oyster sauce.
- Get creative and switch up the spices . Throw in some Mexican chili powder for a Mexican inspired fried rice, or add in some curry paste if you like it spicy 🙂
- Store leftovers in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Here are more quick and easy mains that you may like :
- Chinese Style Vegan Tofu Mince
- Vegan Sweet and Sour Chickpeas
- Simple Tomato Sauce Pasta
- Vegan Dry Wonton Noodles
- Vegan Satay Skewers with Peanut Sauce
- Lebanese Rice Vegan by Plant Based Folk
Vegan Tofu Egg Fried Rice
For the vegan "egg"
- 6 oz extra firm tofu (about 170g)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- pinch of salt
For the fried rice
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small shallots thinly sliced ( or ½ red onion )
- ¼ cup corn kernels fresh, frozen or canned
- ½ carrot diced
- 1 cup cooked brown rice ( refrigerated overnight ) *
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (omit if oil-free)
- ½ tablespoon soy sauce / tamari
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce optional
- Start by making the tofu "egg". In a bowl, crumble the tofu into tiny pieces.
- Add in all the other ingredients for the tofu "egg" into the crumbled tofu and mix well. Set aside.
- Heat up some oil in a pan / skillet. ( Omit oil if you prefer it to be oil free. ) Start to saute the garlic and shallots for a few minutes, or until the shallots are slightly caramelised.
- Next, add in the carrot. Let it cook until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. You may need to add a splash of water to keep things going.
- Add in the rice and tofu " eggs " into the pan along with the frozen corn. Cook until the rice and tofu are fully heated up, stirring constantly.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the green onions. The fried rice is ready to be enjoyed !