This vegan Asian rice salad is crunchy, light & super flavorful, yet is also really filling & satisfying ! Easy to throw together & is ready under 30 mins.
Looking for a salad that is actually filling and hearty ? Give this Asian brown rice salad a try ! This salad features fluffy brown rice and fresh veggies paired with a sweet and savory Chinese inspired soy sesame dressing.
🍚What you will need
🥗Substitutions / Add-ins
- Feel free to use other kinds of cooked grains. Some of them that will work in this recipe are quinoa, white rice, barley and millet. I do not recommend using short grain rice as they tend to be on the stickier side.
- Make this lighter / lower in carbs by substituting parts or all of the rice with cauliflower or broccoli rice.
- To make this gluten-free, use gluten-free soy sauce or tamari instead.
- Make this oil-free by omitting the sesame oil in the dressing. You can top your salad with toasted sesame seeds for that rich, nutty flavor.
- Feel free to substitute / add in veggies that you have on hand. Cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, corn and red cabbage are some of them that is suitable for this recipe.
- Add in a protein source like tofu, roasted chickpeas or kidney beans to make this more filling and high protein.
🔪How to make
There are literally only 3 steps in this recipe - chop up your veggies, make the sauce and toss everything together !
To make the sauce, simply combine all ingredients needed.
In a large salad bowl, place the veggies and rice in, then toss in the sauce. Toss until everything is thoroughly incorporated and well mixed. Give it a taste and add more seasonings, if needed.
Optionally, top this vegan brown rice salad with more sesame seeds before serving.
❔Commonly asked questions
This vegan Asian rice salad is indeed naturally gluten-free. Make sure to use gluten-free soy sauce or tamari as some soy sauce out there do contain gluten.
Yes, this brown rice salad can be frozen for up to a month. To do so, portion them up in sealed containers. They are now ready to be freeze !
To reheat, let them thaw in the fridge overnight. Then, heat them up in a pan on medium heat, stirring frequently. Alternatively, simply reheat them from frozen in the microwave.
This rice salad can be stored in the fridge for 4-5 days. For the best result, store the salad and dressing separately and only add it in before serving.
This salad can be served either cold or warm, depending on your own personal preference. If you prefer them to be warmer, just heat them up in the microwave, or stir them on stovetop in a pan.
🍽More Asian recipes
- Chinese Steamed Yam Cake
- Stir-fry Rice Vermicelli Noodles
- Chinese Seitan Stir-fry
- Vegan Rice Paper Rolls
If you did make this recipe, it will be awesome if you would leave a rating and review in the comments ! Do tag me on instagram @myplantifulcooking, I would really love to see your recreations. 🙂
Asian Vegan Brown Rice Salad
For the sesame soy sauce
For the salad
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- ½ medium carrot shredded
- ½ cup frozen edamame
- ½ medium red pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Boil edamame in hot water for 1-2 minutes, or until they are thoroughly heated.
- To make the sauce, simply combine all ingredients needed.
- In a large salad bowl, place the veggies and rice in, then toss in the sauce. Toss until everything is thoroughly incorporated and well mixed. Give it a taste and add more seasonings, if needed.
- Optionally, top this vegan brown rice salad with more sesame seeds before serving.