This cheesy vegan broccoli mushroom rice casserole is super flavorful yet secretly healthy ! This dump & bake meal is ready under 1 hour & easy to make.
For all my busy people out there, this is the perfect recipe for you ! All you need to do is dump all ingredients into a casserole and bake it. Yes, you heard me right, it is that simple.
This recipe calls for cooked rice. Hence, you will not run into the issue of having undercooked rice ! There is nothing more disappointing and frustrating then having rice that is not cooked properly. 🤷♀️
Plus, it is also a really great way to use up leftover rice. I always make this or my vegan tofu egg fried rice whenever I have leftover rice from dinner the day before.
🥦 What you will need
- As we are using cooked rice in this recipe, you can use any kinds of rice you fancy ! I love using brown rice, but feel free to use white rice, basmati or even fancy black rice.
- You can use frozen broccoli in place of the fresh ones.
- White button mushrooms can be used in place of the brown ones.
- If you do not have cashews, raw almonds can be used instead.
🔪 How to make
Start by making your cheese sauce by combining all ingredients needed for the sauce in a high speed blender and blend until smooth. ( If you are not using a high speed blender, I recommend presoaking your cashews for at least 5 hours before using. Alternatively, you can soak them in boiling water for 20 minutes to soften them up. )
Then, place all ingredients into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and pour in the sauce. Stir until the sauce is well incorporated . Bake it in the oven at 200c / 400f for 25-35 minutes. I personally like mine to have a crispy and firmer top, but if you want it to be gooey and creamy, reduce the baking time to around 25 minutes and give it a stir halfway through.
- If you do not have a high speed blender, soak the cashews overnight or in boiling water for 20 minutes. This will help soften them hence they can blend more easily.
- If the sauce is getting too thick while baking, add a splash of plant milk to thin it out.
- If you prefer it to have a crispier and firmer top, bake them for around 35 minutes. On the other hand, if you prefer them to be gooey and creamy, bake them for around 25 minutes and give them a toss halfway through.
❔ Commonly asked Q&A
Yes, you definitely can ! But do let it thaw slightly before using. To do that, simply take them out from the freezer an hour before making the casserole. Or, if you are short on time, simply let them sit in boiling water for a few minutes.
To make this nut-free, simply substitute the cashews for sunflower seeds.
🍽 More vegan dinner recipes
- Easy Vegan Rice and Black Beans
- Vegan Asian Broccoli Mushroom Tofu Stir-fry
- Chinese Style Vegan Tofu Minced Pork
Vegan Healthy Broccoli Mushroom Rice Casserole
For the cheese sauce
- ½ cup raw cashews*
- 1 cup plant based milk
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder optional
- ½ teaspoon salt more or less, depending on personal preference
Veggies and rice
- 2 cups cooked brown rice ( or any other cooked rice )
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 6-8 brown button mushrooms quartered
- Preheat oven to 200c / 400f. Make the cheese sauce by combining all ingredients needed in a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Place the broccoli, rice and mushrooms in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish ( or similar ). Bake it for 25-35 minutes, or until the veggies has softened. Add a splash of plant based milk if the mixture is getting too thick. You can choose to toss the casserole halfway through, but I did not as I prefer it to have a crispier top layer.
- Serve it up and enjoy !