Super flavorful Asian inspired stir-fry featuring crispy tofu, crunchy broccoli & tender mushrooms ! This healthy vegan dish is ready under 30 mins.
If you are still skeptical about trying tofu, then you definitely must try this recipe ! I am pretty sure you will fall madly in love with it after making this stir-fry. 🙂 The combination of golden tofu and crunchy veggies together with a savory flavorful sauce.... all I say is you must make this dish ASAP .
🥦 What you will need
- To make this recipe gluten-free, use tamari instead of soy sauce. You can omit the dark soy sauce or use a gluten-free one.
- Shiitake or white button mushroom can be used in place of the brown ones.
- Frozen broccoli florets can be used in place of the fresh ones. But do let it thaw before using.
🔪 How to make
If you haven't press your tofu yet, start off by pressing your tofu by using a tofu press. ( I really recommend getting one if you cook with tofu frequently ! ) Alternatively, you can stack something heavy on top of the tofu. You will need to press them for at least 15 minutes to drain out the excess water in them. Cut them into bite size cubes and set aside.
Heat up the pan with some oil and place the tofu cubes on a single layer. Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the tofu are golden. You will need to give them a toss every 4-5 minutes to ensure that all sides of the tofu are nicely crispy on all sides. Set aside.
In the meantime, combine all ingredients needed for the stir-fry sauce and mix well.
In the same pan, add in some oil and saute the garlic until fragrant. Then, toss in the broccoli and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the broccoli is half-cooked before adding in the mushroom. Cook until the veggies have softened. Pour in half of the sauce and toss to coat. Give it a taste and add more sauce, if needed.
Other helpful tips
- Make sure to use extra firm tofu in this recipe. Firm is the next best alternative, but do not use medium or soft tofu as they crumble really easily and definitely do not work in stir-fries.
- Press out as much liquid from the tofu as you can by pressing them before using, then patting them dry using a kitchen tissue / towel.
- Try not to move your tofu too frequently. You will want your tofu to have a perfectly crispy crust on the outside.
- If you are not a fan of broccoli / mushrooms, feel free to swap it out with other veggies ! Asparagus, cauliflower, sweet peas or bok choy are some of the veggies that works really well in stir-fries.
- To make this recipe oil-free, omit the sesame oil in the sauce and use water to saute your veggies. As for the tofu, you can choose to sear them in a non stick pan ( I will repeat it again, a NON-STICK pan ) as per instructions. Or, you can bake them in the oven at 200c / 400f for 20 minutes, giving it a flip halfway through.
- To make this recipe low carb, use stevia or other artificial sweetener instead of maple syrup.
❔ Commonly asked Q&A
No, you do not need to cook / steam the broccoli beforehand. They will be perfectly tender just by stir-frying them.
Extra firm will be the best choice. But if you cant find any, firm works great as a substitute. Do not use soft tofu as does not hold its shape well and crumbles really easily.
I love serving them with brown rice, but they goes really well with anything ! Trying pairing them with some noodles, quinoa or even salads.
Other tofu recipes
- Chinese Style Vegan Tofu Mince Pork
- Healthy Indian Tofu Stir-fry
- Vegan Peanut Noodles with Crispy Tofu
- Vegan Satay Skewers with Peanut Sauce
Vegan Asian Broccoli Mushroom Tofu Stir-fry
For the stir-fry sauce
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce / tamari
- 2 teaspoon maple syrup*** ( or other liquid sweetener )
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- ½ tablespoon sesame oil*
- ½ tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 1 tablespoon water
For the stir-fry
- 1 14 oz block extra firm tofu, pressed and cubed ** ( around 400g )
- 1 small head broccoli , cut into small florets
- 6-8 button mushroom, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Heat up a tablespoon of oil in a pan. Place the tofu in one layer and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until tofu are browned on most sides, giving it a toss every 4-5 minutes. Set aside.
- In the meantime, make the stir-fry sauce by combining everything needed and mix well.
- In the same pan, add in some more oil and saute the garlic until fragrant. Then, add in the broccoli and cook until they are half-cooked, about 3-5 minutes.
- Toss in the mushrooms and cook until the veggies have softened, stirring frequently.
- Add in the tofu and half of the stir-fry sauce. Mix until everything is thoroughly incorporated.
- Give it a taste and add more sauce, if needed. Serve and enjoy !
Nutrition info calculated is just a rough estimate and is provided as a courtesy. Bear in mind that value will vary based on variables like specific brand or type of product used. To obtain the most accurate representation, it is highly recommended that you calculate it on your own with the actual amount and type of ingredient used.
Made this last night and it was very good! Easy to make and inexpensive. I was out of rice vinegar so I did have to substitute white balsamic vinegar. Otherwise, made as written and loved it!
Super happy to hear that!😁
Made this tonight it was restaurant quality good! I air fried my tofu and served it over rice ramen noodles! So delicious !!
I am really happy you liked them!!
Mama Maggie's Kitchen
Oh my word! I need this in my life.
Thanks ! You have to make some 😉
Healthy and full of flavor!
This is my kind of plate to go for when I want to eat mushrooms. I find they go so well with broccoli and firm tofu. I love your sauce.
Yes, I really love pairing these 2 ingredients together !
Oh I'm loving this! I will definitely serve this Vegan Asian Broccoli Mushroom Tofu Stir-fry
on our table tomorrow.
Tqvm ! Enjoy 😉
We are big tofu fans, and really love the sound of this recipe!
This great for busy weeknights!
Yes they are super easy to quick to make !
Great recipe for an easy midweek stir fry. I love tofu anything!
Me too ! They are a really great meat substitute. 🙂
All my favorites in this stir fry. Can't wait to try this, especially your stir fry sauce - yum!
Thanks, enjoy !
I love using tofu, always looking for new ways to use it.
Then this is the perfect recipe for you ! Enjoy 🙂