Flavourful peanut noodles are paired with crispy baked tofu and colourful vegetables. Ready in under 30 mins and is super filling and satisfying.
This peanut noodles has been my go-to quick meal lately ! They are super easy to make, healthy and a great way to sneak in veggies. It is also super tasty and nutty, and I am sure no one will notice that it is vegan. 🙂
🥜 Type of peanut butter
This recipe is really versatile that you can literally use any types of peanut butter you have on hand. But as different peanut butter have different consistency, here are some things to take note of :
Natural smooth peanut butter : This type of peanut butter is made up of 100% peanuts, sometimes salt is also added. They are really silky and smooth, therefore no extra liquid needs to be added. I really recommend using this type if you do have them.
Crunchy peanut butter : They gives the noodles an extra crunch factor, but you will need to add a little extra than what the recipe calls for.
Conventional peanut butter : As they are generally thicker when compared to natural peanut butter, I recommend adding a splash of water / plant based milk to thin them out, making them easier to mix in.
Powdered peanut butter : Lastly, to make this recipe low fat, you can also sub with powdered peanut butter. I have zero experience with it, but from what I gathered you can make peanut butter by mixing 2 tablespoon of peanut butter to 1.5 tablespoon of water. Here is an article by PB2 foods that may be helpful.
Making tofu taste good
- Press your tofu - First and foremost, you must press your tofu before using. Pressing the tofu helps remove excess liquid in the tofu, thus producing more yummy and crispier baked tofu. To press your tofu, you can use a tofu press or simply stack something heavy on your tofu. Check out this article by The Spruce Eats on how to press tofu.
- Marinate it - Marinating allows the tofu enough time to really absorb all the flavors in the marinate. I recommend letting them sit in the marinate for at least 20 minutes, but the longer you marinate it, the more flavorful the tofu is.
- Baking it on a silicon baking mat - I find that baking them using a silicon mat helps the tofu caramelized perfectly, producing tofu that is crispier and delicious.
🔪 How to make
- Start by marinating your tofu. You can skip this step if you are short on time, but bear in mind that the tofu will be less flavorful. They will still taste pretty good, though.
- Preheat your oven to 200c/400f and arrange your tofu on a baking tray. Let it bake for 20 mins.
- In the meantime, you can cook your noodles according to the instruction on package and prep your veggies. Make your sauce by combining all ingredients needed for the sauce. When the noodles are ready, drain them under cold water and set aside.
- Heat up some oil in the pan ( omit if you prefer it to be oil-free ) and saute your onions for a few minutes, or until they have softened and caramelized. Then, add in your garlic and give it a few toss.
- Now, add in your julienned bell pepper and carrot in the pan. Cook until softened, about 8-10 minutes.
- Lastly, add in your noodles, bean sprout, peanut sauce and tofu. Toss until the everything is well incorporated. Give it a taste and season it with some salt, if needed.
Notes and other substitution ideas
- You can substitute the veggies used here with any other veggies that you have! Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and spiralized zucchini works really well in this recipe.
- Similarly, any types of noodles works well in this recipe. I am using oat noodles, but any noodles ranging from rice noodles to spaghetti can be used.
- You can enjoy the noodles hot, cold and anything in between.
- Prefer to have your veggies raw ? No problem ! Simply skip sauteing the veggies.
- If you are allergic to soy ( or simply do not like tofu ), feel free to sub them with other kinds of protein.
- To make this recipe oil-free, omit the sesame oil.
❄ How to store
The noodles can be kept in a sealed container in the fridge for 3-4 days. ( I really love using these meal prep containers ! ) You can reheat it using the microwave or stovetop. Alternatively, you can have them cold.
❔ Commonly asked questions
Yes, you can by simply omitting the sesame oil in the sauce. When sauteing the veggies, use a splash of water / vegetable broth in place of oil.
You can literally use any kinds of noodles. If you want it to be more authentic, use asian noodles like rice noodles or hand-pulled noodles. But if you have spaghetti or ramen noodles on hand, feel free to use them too !
The best variety to use is the extra firm ones. Firm tofu can also be used.
🍽 More Easy Vegan Mains
- Easy Veggie Pasta Salad
- Simple Homemade Tomato Pasta Sauce
- Vegan Egg Fried Rice
- Peanut Butter Roasted Chickpeas
Vegan Peanut Noodles With Crispy Tofu
For the tofu
- 200 g extra firm tofu, pressed * ( about 8 oz )
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce / tamari
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
For the peanut sauce
- 1 tablespoon smooth peanut butter *
- 1 tablespoon tamari / soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil ( optional )
For the noodles
- 120g noodles of choice ( about 4 oz )
- ½ red bell pepper juilienned
- ½ carrot julienned
- ½ small red onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- handful of bean sprouts
- chopped green onions, to garnish
- Start by making the marinate of your tofu by combining the soy sauce, onion powder and garlic powder. Let your tofu marinate for at least 20 mins.
- Preheat oven to 200c / 400f. Arrange your tofu on a lined baking tray and bake it for 20 mins.
- In the meantime, prepare your veggies and cook your noodles according to package instructions. Drain your noodles and rinse it with cold water. Make your sauce by combining all ingredients for the sauce and mix well.
- Heat up some oil in a pan. Start by sauteing your red onion for a few minutes, or until it is slightly browned and caramelized. Then, add in your garlic and cook it for another min.
- Place the red pepper and carrot in the pan and cook for 8-10 mins, or until veggies have softened.
- Add in your noodles, bean sprout along with the sauce into the pan. Mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Plate it up and garnish with some green onions, if using. Enjoy !