This is for sure the easiest vegan tempeh taco meat recipe! Super flavourful and filling, yet only requires 7 simple ingredients and ready in 10 mins.
For tacos lovers out there, you have to try this vegan tempeh tacos recipe ! It is hands down, one of the best meatless substitute for your vegan tacos :). I had tried using quinoa, walnuts and tofu, but really, tempeh is my favourite . It has a meaty like texture that resembles ground meat.
But before we get to the recipe, let me introduce you to the star of today's recipe - aka tempeh !
What is tempeh
Tempeh is basically cooked and fermented whole soy beans. During the fermenting process, the fungal culture ( also known as tempeh starter ) binds the soy beans together into a cake like form. This popular plant protein actually originates from Indonesia.
Commonly known for its high protein content, tempeh is also packed full of nutrients. It is a good source of calcium, magnesium and iron. Oh, did I mention that it is high in antioxidant ? Read more about this highly nutritious food from this article by Healthline.
Ok, back to this tempeh taco meat recipe. It is actually very easy to make, and the whole process literally takes 10 mins. I really like to batch cook them and store the leftovers in the fridge for days that I cant be bothered to cook. And the best part is, this easy vegan taco meat taste even better the next day ! ( To be honest, leftovers always taste better, am I right ?! )
How to make :
Start out by breaking the tempeh by hand into small pieces, until it resembles a mince like texture.
Then, combine all dry spices and herbs needed for this recipe. Next, heat up the pan . Add all ingredients into the pan and saute it for 4-5 minutes, or until the tempeh is cooked. And that all! Serve it for your vegan tacos, or as a high protein topping for your salads.
Substitutions + add-ins
- If you have soy allergies, I recommend using chickpea tempeh.
- To make a sweeter version of taco meat, sub the tomato paste with tomato sauce instead.
- You can make this recipe even simpler and easier by using taco seasoning. Simple use 2 teaspoons of taco seasonings and you wont need the any of the spices I used.
- You can definitely sneak in some veggies ( like peppers and onions ) into this recipe to make it more nutritious !
How to serve
- In tacos ( duh ! )
- Wrapping them up in burritos together with some salsa and guacamole
- Serving them with some chopped lettuce + any veggies you like to make vegan taco salad
- Making burrito bowls by serving it up with some rice, corns and greens
How to store + freeze
Store leftovers in a sealed container and place them in the fridge. It should last for up to 4 days. They can be freeze, too ! To reheat them, simple let them thaw and heat it up on stove top or just reheat them in the microwave.
Here are more easy vegan dinner recipes
- Chinese Style Vegan Tofu Mince
- Easy Sweet and Sour Chickpeas
- Creamy Tomato Pasta
- Vegan Egg Fried Rice
- Crunchy Peanut Butter Roasted Chickpeas
The Best Ever Vegan Tempeh Tacos
- 1 block 8 oz tempeh
- 21/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika ( optional, but recommended )
- salt to taste
- Using your hands, crumble the tempeh into tiny pieces, or until it resembles a mince like texture.
- Heat up the pan. In the meantime, combine all ingredients except tempeh and tomato paste into a small bowl and give it a mix.
- Add the all ingredients into the pan along with ¼ cup of water. Saute it for 4-5 minutes, or until the tempeh is cooked. You may need to add more water to keep things going.
- Serve it with tacos, as a salad topping or however you like !