Healthy Hummus Recipe ( quick & easy! )
A quick and easy healthy homemade hummus recipe. Only requires 6 ingredients & takes less than 15 minutes to make. Oil-free, gluten-free, healthy and vegan .
I am definitely on a hummus high right now. One way or another, I always include it in every of my meal. ( I am literally snacking on some hummus and chips while writing this post 🙂 )
As homemade hummus is wayyy cheaper than the store bought ones, I am determined to create the best healthy hummus recipe that is quick and easy. Most importantly, NO PEELING OF CHICKPEAS NEEDED. From what I gathered from my past experience, there is no significant difference between peeled and non-peeled chickpeas.
Here are a few actually helpful tips in making hummus :
- Be sure to use chickpeas that are soft and mushy – If you are using canned ones and have extra time, I recommend boiling them for 20 minutes are until they are quite soft. However, this is a totally optional step.
- Be sure to blend it enough – I used to be impatient and stop blending as soon as a puree like texture forms. Just by blending them for another few minutes, I definitely see the difference in texture. The hummus is much smoother and creamier.
- Use ice cold water – I do not know the science behind that, but using ice cold water has definitely stepped up my hummus game !
How to eat hummus ?
- Spread it on toast
- Use it as a pasta sauce. Feel Good Foodie has a great hummus pasta recipe.
- It is perfect as a salad dressing. Simply thin it with some lemon juice and water until desired consistancy. Then, add a pinch of salt to taste.
- And the most obvious one, use it as a dip. You can literally dip anything in it, from raw veggies to chips.
If you like this recipe, you may also like my vegan ricotta cheese .
Healthy Hummus Recipe
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas ( or 11/2 cups cooked )
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice ( juice of 1/2 lemon )
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- salt, to taste
- 3-5 tablespoon ice cold water
- In a high speed blender or food processor, combine tahini, 2 tablespoon of ice cold water and lemon juice. Process for about 30s or until a whipped cream kind of texture is formed.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and blend for 5 minutes, or until the smooth hummus forms. You may need to stop the blender occasionally to scrape down the sides. Add more water, if needed to reach desired consistency.
- Enjoy it however you like !