Make the best falafel hummus pita pocket sandwiches that are also vegan, healthy & easy to make ! Delicious yet filling, they make the perfect quick meal.
Looking for something that is quick to make yet delicious and healthy at the same time ? Then you definitely have to give this sandwich a go !
This recipe features crispy falafels stuffed in toasted pita with a thick layer of hummus and crunchy freshly chopped veggies. You can use store-bought ones, but I prefer making my own authentic baked falafels and smoked hummus.
🍅What you will need
🥗Notes / Substitutions
- Make a batch of authentic baked falafels and smoked hummus ahead of time, or you can choose to use store bought ones.
- I am using whole wheat pita bread, but any other types of pita will work. Or, you can use flatbread or wraps instead.
- To make it lower in carbs, sub the bread with lettuce to make lettuce boats.
- Drizzle it with a good amount of good Arabic tahini. Or, you can make tahini sauce by combining it with water, lemon juice and a good pinch of salt.
- Stuff in some of your favorite greens like arugula, chopped romaine or baby spinach.
- To make this more herby, chop up some cilantro, mint or green onions and add them in.
- Add in a squeeze of lemon juice just before serving to really heighten the flavor profile.
🔪How to make
Start by making the authentic baked falafels. Just a heads up that dried chickpeas are used in this recipe, hence they have to be presoaked overnight.
Alternatively, use store bought ones if you are short on time.
Heat up a cast iron skillet / non-stick pan and coat the base with a small amount of oil. Simply leave out the oil to make this recipe oil-free. Toast the pitas for 1-2 minutes on each sides, or until golden brown.
Next, slice the pitas into halves and open it up. Spread a thick layer of hummus at the bottom of the bread before adding 2 falafels into each halves. Top with with tomatoes, cucumbers and onions. Serve and enjoy !
❔Commonly asked Q & A
Falafels oftentimes does not contain any meat or dairy products, making them vegan. But do check the ingredients list before purchasing any store bought falafels as on rare occasions, eggs are used as the binding product.
Unfortunately, they are not suitable for freezing. But, you can prep individual components ahead of time to make this a quick and easy meal.
First off, make the falafels during the weekends or whenever you have some extra time on hand. I recommend making a large batch at once as they are freezable and can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Next, you can make the hummus a few days before. They stay well in the fridge for up to a week. Or, simply use store-bought hummus instead to make it fuss-free.
The veggies can be chopped the day before. And if you are using falafels, remember to let it defrost in the fridge overnight.
When it is time to serve, simply heat the falafels in the oven at 180c / 360f for 8-10 minutes. Stuff your pita and it is ready to be served !
🍽More quick vegan mains
- Indonesian Sambal Tempeh
- Instant Pot Coconut Masoor Dal Tadka
- Healthy Indian Tofu Stir-fry
- Vegan Satay Skewers with Peanut Sauce
If you did make this recipe, do leave a rating and comment down below, we love hearing from you! Subscribe to My Plantiful Cooking to get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest to get the latest updates. 😉
Falafel Hummus Pita Pocket Sandwiches
- Start by making the falafels. ( Just a heads up that the chickpeas have to be soaked overnight )
- Coat a thin layer of oil on a cast iron skillet or non-stick pan. To make it oil-free, simply omit the oil.
- Toast the pita for 1-2 minutes on each sides, or until golden brown.
- Cut the pita into halves and open it up. In each pita halves, spread about 2 tablespoons of hummus at the base , then place 2 falafels in it. Top with tomatoes, cucumbers and onions.
- Serve and enjoy !
Nutrition info calculated is just a rough estimate and is provided as a courtesy. Bear in mind that value will vary based on variables like specific brand or type of product used. To obtain the most accurate representation, it is highly recommended that you calculate it on your own with the actual amount and type of ingredient used.