A 3 ingredients banana oatmeal breakfast bar recipe that is super healthy yet delicious. They are perfect as an on-the-go breakfast or an easy snack !
Throwback to my high school days where I have to wake up at 4:45 in the morning. As I live quite far from school, I am forced to wake up early. During these days, ain't no people have time to prepare breakfast ! Hence, I always opt for something fast and can be taken on-the-go 🙂 .These healthy peanut butter banana oatmeal bars are one of my go-to recipes that I batch make during the weekends .
What you will need :
This is one of those recipes that are very easy to make ! Only 4 ingredients needed, and most likely this 4 ingredients are already sitting in your pantry ! The 4 ingredients needed are :
- Ripe banana
- Peanut butter
- Rolled / quick oats
And that's it ! Combine all ingredients in a bowl, transfer them to a baking tin, and bake. You will have healthy peanut butter banana breakfast oat bars for the rest of the week . 🙂 ( you can actually make your own peanut butter ! Here is a great blog post on how to make homemade peanut butter by The Kitchn )
Are these breakfast bars healthy ?
I am no dietitian or nutritionist, but dare I say that this oatmeal bars are healthy and good for you. It is quite balance in terms of macronutrients. You have fats and protein coming from the peanut butter, and carbs from the oats and bananas. Refined sugar- free, dairy-free, oil-free and can be made gluten-free, these oatmeal bars are definitely nourishing for your body.
How to store them and are they freezer-friendly ?
They can be stored at room temperature for about 3 days, and in the fridge for up to a week. Simply store them in a sealed container and you are good to go! And yes, they are freezer-friendly. They can last up to 3 month in the freezer.
Notes and other tips
- To make them gluten-free, simply use certified gluten-free oats instead of regular oats.
- Make sure to use very ripe and spotty bananas. If your bananas are not sweet enough, I recommend adding 2 tbsp sweetener of choice.
- This is a really versatile recipe ! Hence, feel free to add in your favourite nuts or dried fruits, or even chocolate chips. 🙂
Here are more easy breakfast recipes to check out :
- Vegan Peanut Butter Chickpea Blondies
- 10 Best Vegan Breakfast Meal Prep Ideas
- Crunchy Peanut Butter Granola
- Sugar-free Vegan Black Bean Brownies
Banana & Peanut Butter Breakfast Oat Bars
- 3 cups rolled oats*
- ½ cup peanut butter**
- 400 g ripe bananas, mashed ( about 4 medium bananas)
- pinch of salt ( if using unsalted peanut butter )
- 2-3 tablespoon granulated sugar of choice*** ( optional )
Topping ( optional )
- a handful of chopped peanuts
- cacao nibs
- coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 150c.
- Using a fork or potato masher, mash the bananas until smooth.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mashed bananas and peanut butter. Mix well.
- Stir in the oats and salt.
- Line a 9x9 baking pan with parchment paper or baking paper. Transfer the mixture into the pan. Top it with desiccated coconut if using. Let it bake in the oven for 30-35 mins, or until the edges turned golden brown.
- Remove it from the oven and let it cool in the pan. Slice and enjoy !