Chocolate banana baked oatmeal that also happens to be vegan & only requires 5 ingredients. Perfect as an on-the-go breakfast or snack !
This gooey and chocolate-y baked oatmeal literally taste like dessert, yet it is super filling and hearty ! Like my peanut butter banana oatmeal bars, they are a really great make-ahead breakfast for busy mornings.
Furthermore, only 5 simple ingredients are required, and is ready in 30 minutes.
🍌What you will need
- Remember to use bananas that are ripe and spotty. This is because bananas are the main sweetener in this recipe.
- I recommend using natural smooth peanut butter.
- Any kinds of plant milk will work in this recipe.
- Peanut butter can be substituted with any other kinds of nut butter like almond, cashew or hazelnut butter.
- To make it nut-free, use seed butter instead. Tahini, sunflower seed or pumpkin seed butter works well in this recipe.
- If you prefer it to be gluten-free, it is recommended to use certified gluten-free oats.
- Quick oats can be used, but there will be less texture to your baked oatmeal.
- Cacao powder or carob powder can be used in place of cocoa powder.
- If you prefer it to be extra sweet, feel free to add 2-4 tablespoons of your preferred sweetener. Coconut sugar, maple syrup and agave syrup are some of my favorite.
- Chocolate chips ( ⅓ - ½ cups )
- handful of chopped nuts / dried fruits
- vanilla extract ( 1-2 teaspoons )
- Cinnamon powder
🔪 How to make
Preheat oven to 180c / 350f. Line / grease a 8x8 square baking pan.
Using a fork or potato masher, mash bananas until smooth. It is ok to have a few small chunks left.
In a large mixing bowl, add in the oats and cocoa powder. Mix until well incorporated.
Add in the mashed bananas together with the almond milk and peanut butter into the oats and cocoa powder mixture. Mix well.
Pour the mixture into the baking pan. Using the back of a spoon or spatula, smooth out the mixture so it is evenly distributed within the pan.
Bake it in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean and the top is set. Let it cool completely before slicing into it. Drizzle it with tons of peanut butter before slicing into it and enjoy !
❔ Frequently asked questions
Insert a toothpick / cake tester into the center of the baked oatmeal. If the toothpick comes out clean, it is done baking.
It will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days in a sealed container. You can reheat refrigerated baked oats in the microwave for 30 seconds or in the oven at 180c / 350f for 8-10 minutes, or until it is thoroughly heated.
Yes, baked oatmeal is freezable. It can be frozen for up to 3 months.
To do so, first let it cool down to room temperature. Then, slice and portion it out accordingly. Place individual portions in freezer or zip-top bags. They are then ready to be frozen.
To reheat, let it thaw in the fridge overnight. You can then reheat it in the oven or microwave.
This baked oatmeal goes really well with any kinds of milk and fresh fruits like sliced bananas and berries. You can also serve it with a huge dollop of your favorite yogurt, topped with chocolate chips and chopped nuts.
To make it more dessert-like, serve it with a scoop of ice-cream and drizzle on tons of chocolate syrup !
🍽More recipe using oats
- Basic Overnight Oats with Protein Powder
- Vegan Gluten-free Sweet Potato Banana Pancakes
- Fudgy Sweet Potato Brownies
- Vegan Oatmeal Pumpkin Banana Bread
If you did make this recipe, do leave a rating and comment down below, we love hearing from you! Subscribe to My Plantiful Cooking to get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest to get the latest updates. 😉
Vegan Chocolate Banana Baked Oatmeal
- Preheat oven to 180c / 350f. Grease / line a 8x8 square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Mash the bananas using a fork or potato masher until smooth. It is ok to have a few chunks left.
- In another large mixing bowl, mix together the cocoa powder and oats.
- Add in the mashed bananas together with the peanut butter and almond milk into the mixing bowl containing the dry ingredients. Mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture into the baking pan. Using the back of a spoon or a spatula, gently press down the mixture so that it is evenly distributed.
- Bake it for 20-25 mins, or until a toothpick comes out clean and the top is set.
- Let it cool down before slicing and serving. Optionally, drizzle it with tons of peanut butter !