Chocolate banana baked oatmeal that also happens to be vegan & only requires 4 ingredients. Perfect as an on-the-go breakfast or snack !
Baked oatmeal are one of my go-to when it comes to breakfast. They are warm, healthy and delicious... what more can you ask for ? I always have a batch of them in the freezer for days that I am too busy ( or lazy ) to whip up a full-blown breakfast. It is reassuring to know that I have something to grab and go in the mornings.
This vegan baked oatmeal recipe is by far, one of the easiest recipe out there ! All you need is an oven, a bowl, 4 ingredients and 40 mins. ( It is more like 10 mins, if the baking time is excluded . ) And I am sure most of you will have all the ingredients needed sitting in your pantry right now. 🙂
And did I mention, they are absolutely DIVINE . Every time I made up a fresh batch, it will be gone within a day. My non-vegan family absolutely love it ! Even my brother, the worst food critic I ever meet, enjoys it.
🍌 What you will need
- Remember to use bananas that are ripe and spotty. This the because bananas are the main sweetener in this recipe.
- I recommend using natural peanut butter ( peanut butter than mainly consisted of peanuts ) as opposed to conventional peanut butter.
- If you prefer your baked oats to be sweeter, I recommend adding 2 tablespoon sweetener of choice, like maple syrup or coconut sugar.
List of substitution + add ins
- You can make it peanut free by substituting the peanut butter with other kinds of nut butter. Hazelnut butter, almond butter and cashew butter works really well in this recipe.
- You also can substitute cocoa powder with cacao powder or even carob powder.
- Quick oats can be used in place of rolled oats. You can even use a combination of both.
- Throw in some vanilla extract if you are feeling extra fancy. I would use 1 tsp of it in this recipe.
- Other optional add-ins includes chocolate chip, chopped nuts , dried fruit and cinnamon powder.
🍳 How to make
First of all, preheat your oven. Mash your bananas until smooth ( you will need 400g or about 4 large bananas ).
Then, add in the peanut butter and cocoa powder. Using a fork or a spatula, stir until everything is well incorporated.
Add in the oats next. Feel free to use quick oats, rolled oats or a mixture of both.
Grease or line your baking pan with parchment paper to prevent sticking. Transfer the oat mixture into the pan. Using a spatula or the back of a spoon, smooth out the edges. Top it off with whatever you like ! I am using chocolate chips and desiccated coconut here, but other things like chopped nuts and sliced bananas works well too.
Bake it for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let it cool down before slicing and serving them.
❔ Frequently asked questions
Baked oatmeal can be stored in a sealed container on the counter top for about 3 days, and it can last up to 1 week in the fridge.
Yes, they are perfect for freezing ! To freeze, simply let them cool down. Then, transfer them to a freezer-friendly container or zip lock bag. Store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat them, simply let them thaw and reheat it in the microwave oven or conventional oven.
Yes, you can. Simply use gluten-free oats in place.
🔪 Equipment needed
🍽 More vegan breakfast recipes
- Peanut butter and banana breakfast oatmeal bars
- Healthy Vegan Black Bean Brownies
- Vegan Peanut Butter Chickpea Blondies
- Healthy Banana Oatmeal Muffin
Chocolate Banana Vegan Baked Oatmeal
- 3 cups rolled oats*
- ½ cup peanut butter ( or any other nut/seed butter of choice )
- ¼ cup cocoa / cacao powder
- 4 medium banana ( about 400g )
- pinch of salt ( optional )
- 2 tablespoon sweetener of choice ** ( optional, see notes )
- Preheat oven to 150 c .
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas using a fork or potato masher.
- Add in the peanut butter and cocoa powder into the mashed bananas. Combine till well mixed.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix until the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture into a 8x8 greased or lined square pan.
- Bake it for 20-25 mins, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let it cool down before slicing and serving !