This basic overnight oats with protein powder is packed with at least 15g of protein, healthy and will definitely keep you satisfied for hours !
If you are looking for something that is higher in protein for breakfast, definitely try making some protein overnight oats ! The high protein content will definitely keep you full and satisfied until lunchtime.
But if you are not a fan of protein powder, feel free to omit it and add other protein sources instead ! ( Peanut butter, chia seeds and flax seeds are some of my favorite. )
If you are more of a savory breakfast person, this curry tofu scramble makes the perfect high protein breakfast !
🌾What are overnight oats
For those of you who are unfamiliar with overnight oats, they are essentially a no-cook method of preparing oats. Raw oats are soaked in milk or water for a few hours. This allows the oats to swell and soften up.
Oftentimes, other add-ins such as dried fruits, sweetener and nut butters are added to flavor the oats.
🥛What you will need
Notes / substitutions
- Both quick oats and rolled oats can be used in this recipe. While you can use steel cut oats to make overnight oats, they need to be soaked longer. ( at least 48 hours )
- Make sure to use certified gluten-free oats if you would like to make them gluten-free.
- To make them vegan, use a vegan protein powder blend.
- Any kinds of plant milk works in this recipe. If you are not vegan, feel free to use cow's milk instead.
- The maple syrup can be substituted with any other sweeteners like stevia, coconut sugar or date syrup.
🔪How to make
In a mason jar / bowl / tupperware containers , add in all ingredients and mix well.
The mixture should be on the watery side as the oats will absorb the liquid and swell up upon soaking. If it is too dry, add a splash more milk and give it a quick stir.
Let the mixture sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving. For best result, let it sit in the fridge overnight ( hence the name overnight oats. )
When ready to serve, divide the oats into 2 bowls and topped it with some fresh fruits and nut butter. Alternatively, simply grab a spoon and eat it straight out from the jar. ( Which is what I like to do ! )
🥜Other high-protein add-ins / variations
Here are some add-ins ideas that can further bump up the protein content of this recipe:
- Nut butters - some of my favorite includes peanut butter, almond butter and cashew butter. You can also use seed butter instead to make this nut-free.
- Chia and flax seeds - They are not only pretty high in protein, but are also a really great source of omega-3.
- Use milk that are higher in protein like soy and pea milk as opposed to rice or oat milk.
- Top it with some silvered almonds or your favorite chopped nuts.
❔Commonly asked questions
If you prefer your oats to be warm, you definitely can warm it up before enjoying ! To do so, simple microwave it for 1-2 minutes until hot.
They will last in the fridge for up to 5 days, hence making them the perfect make-ahead breakfast for busy mornings. But do bear in mind that the oats will continue to soften up as it sits in the fridge for longer.
Ideally, let them soak for at least 8 hours, but they are ready to be consumed after 2 hours. The texture will be slightly chewier due to the short soaking time.
Yes, you can definitely omit it. But do reduce the amount of milk used to 1 cup, or it will turn out to be slightly watery.
Other make-ahead breakfast
- Vegan Oatmeal Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Chocolate Banana Baked Oatmeal
- Vegan Banana Date Oatmeal Muffins
- Peanut Butter and Banana Breakfast Oatmeal Bars
If you did make this recipe, do leave a rating and comment down below, we love hearing from you! Subscribe to My Plantiful Cooking to get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest to get the latest updates. 😉
Basic Overnight Oats with Protein Powder
- 1 cup rolled / quick oats use gluten-free if needed
- 1 ¼ cup almond milk or any other milk of choice
- ¼ cup protein powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or other sweetener of choice
- In a jar / bowl, combine together all ingredients and mix well. The mixture should be slightly watery, so add more milk if needed.
- Let it chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours before consuming. For best result, let it sit overnight.
- Before serving, top it with fresh fruits and add a splash more milk, if the mixture is too thick.