Healthy Banana Oatmeal Muffins ( Vegan )
A one bowl vegan muffins recipe that is oil-free, gluten-free & grain-free. Only 6 ingredients required & freezer friendly. A perfect breakfast or snack.
In times of quarantine, I find baking to be very therapeutic. There is something about testing and mixing the ingredients until you get the right proportions to be very fulfilling. After a few batch, I had finally made muffins that are fluffy , chewy and oh so good. ( Nope, I am not biased ) They are the best when paired with my Almond Coconut Butter.
To make the muffins healthier than the average muffins, I am using banana as the main sweetener. In my opinion, banana is simply the best healthy sweetener when comes to baking. They are so versatile that you can literally bake them in anything.
To make them sweeter, I added some coconut sugar to them. But you can simply sub them for regular white or brown sugar. If you prefer them to be sugar free, feel free to leave them out. But bear in mind that the muffins will be more bland, though.
Oh, and did I mention that they are like, SUPER easy to make ? You just basically need to mix the wet ingredients together. Fold in the dry ingredients. ( ain’t no one have time to wash dishes ) Mix well. Then transfer them to a muffin tray ( or muffin cups, if that is what you have ) and bake them. Let them cool and your muffins are ready !
As most of us are in quarantine now, I had made sure that the ingredients used are all common pantry staples.
Here is what you need :
- Very ripe bananas ( you can also use frozen ones. Just thaw them before using )
- Rolled oats ( Quick oats also works well ,too. Use gluten-free oats to make them gluten-free )
- Baking powder
- flax egg ( simply just mix 1 tbsp of ground flax/ chia seeds with 3 tbsp of water )
- coconut sugar ( or any granulated sweetener you have on hand )
- cashew butter ( or any other nut butter. Sun butter works well, too . You can also make your own cashew butter by following this recipe . )
Here are more banana sweetened recipes that you may like :
Healthy Banana Oatmeal Muffins
- 2 cups rolled oats *
- 4 medium ripe bananas ( about 400g )
- 1 flax egg**
- 1/4 cup cashew butter ( or any other nut/seed butter )
- 2 tablespoon coconut sugar*** ( or other granulated sugar )
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon ( optional )
- Preheat oven to 180c. Grease the muffin tray with some oil, if using.
- Start by mashing the bananas in a large mixing bowl. Then, mix in the flax egg, cashew butter, cinnamon and coconut sugar into the mashed bananas. Mix well.
- Fold in the oat flour, salt and baking powder and combine still well mixed.
- Add the batter into the muffin tray / muffin cups. Fill each cups to about 2/3 full.
- Bake them in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when tested.
- Transfer them to a cooling tray. Let it cool down and enjoy !