Vegan Banana Protein Pancakes
These vegan banana pancakes are made with chickpea flour , making them high in protein without using protein powder. You can make them gluten-free, too!
What is chickpea flour ?
Chickpea flour, also known as gram flour or besan flour, is made from grounded dried chickpeas. They are really popular in traditional Indian cooking, but has been gaining popularity recently as a gluten-free flour substitute. They are a great substitute for wheat flour, and sometimes are used as thickening agent in curries and stews.
You can actually make your own chickpea flour at home. To do this, simply place dried chickpeas in a food processor / high speed blender and blend until it resembles a flour like texture. Check out this great blog post, how to make chickpea flour by Piping Pot Curry to get the full instructions !
Are these protein pancakes healthy and are they gluten free ?
First of all, they are really one of the healthiest pancake recipe out there, if I must say so myself 🙂 They are :
- gluten-free ( So to answer your second question, yes they are gluten-free ! Just use gluten-free oats instead of the regular ones. )
- High in plant protein
How to make them :
- Start by placing all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Heat up your pan with or without oil. ( If you are using oil, do not overdo it ! You do not want fried pancakes, trust me )
- Place a small amount of batter in the pan as as a tester. But if you are feeling confident, feel free to skip this step.
- Lower the heat to medium and place 1/4 cup of batter into the pan. Cook it for 2-3 minutes until the pancake is dry around the edges and can be easy flipped.
- Flip it and let it cook for another few minutes, or until they are perfectly browned.
- Repeat it for all pancakes. Serve it and enjoy it while hot !
Vegan pancake topping ideas
- maple syrup !
- nut butter of any kind ( my fav is peanut butter )
- Chocolate syrup
- Fresh fruit
- berry compote
- Caramelized banana
- powdered sugar
- dairy free yogurt ( or normal yogurt if you are not vegan )
Listed above are only a small part of pancake topping ideas ! I urge you to really get creative when it come to toppings !
How to store and freeze pancakes
Have I mentioned that these pancakes are freezer friendly ? You can totally batch make these pancakes as part of your meal prep ! To freeze for pancakes, place them on a lined baking sheet and arrange them to make sure they are not touching. Then, pop the baking tray into the freezer and let it freeze for an hour. You can then transfer them in ziplock bags or any other containers . These chickpea flour pancakes can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Have some chickpea flour sitting around and have no idea what to do with it ? Here are more vegan recipes using chickpea flour :
- High Protein Vegan Waffles
- Mini Chickpea Flour Frittatas by The Simple Veganista
- The Best Vegan French Toast by The Hidden Veggies
- Chickpea Flour Vegan Omelet by Vegan Richa
- Socca Pizza With Sun Dried Tomato Pesto by Minimalist Baker
Vegan Banana Protein Pancakes ( without protein powder ! )
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats ( use gluten-free if needed )
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Heat up a pan on medium heat. Place 1/4 cup of batter into the pan. Let it cook for a few minutes, or until it look dry around the edges.
- Flip it and let it cook for another few minutes, or until the pancakes are fully cooked and perfectly browned.
- Repeat it for all pancakes.
- Serve it with whatever toppings you have and enjoy it while hot !