Makes the BEST eggless French toast that also happens to be vegan, dairy-free & healthy ! It is crispy yet soft, and is incredibly easy to whip up. Plus, all you need is a 6 simple ingredients and 30 minutes to make them. Oh, did I mention they are freezable too ?!
Yes, you heard that right . It is totally possible to make some darn good French toast without eggs or dairy !
🍞What you will need
📓Notes / Substitutions
- Bread - Any kind of bread will work in this recipe, but I do recommend using thicker slices, slightly stale bread as they will soak up the batter more readily.
- Milk - Any types of plant milk will work in this recipe. You can even use regular ones if not vegan.
- Ground flax - can be substituted with ground chia seeds. You can actually ground them at home by blending whole flax / chia seeds.
- Spices - Feel free to add in complimentary spices like nutmeg and cinnamon !
- Oil-free version - cook them on a good non-stick pan without oil.
- Gluten-free version - Use gluten-free bread.
🔪How to make
Prepare the batter by placing banana, milk, chickpea flour and ground flax into a blender and blend until a smooth. Transfer batter to a shallow bowl or deep plate that is large enough to fit your bread.
Heat up a non-stick pan over medium heat and pour in a small amount of oil, just enough to coat the bottom of your pan. While waiting for pan to heat up, dip a slice of bread in the batter for 10-15 seconds on each side.
Let it cook for 4-5 minutes on each sides, or until golden brown. Repeat for the rest and serve your French toast immediately.
🥓How to serve
Need more ideas on how to serve them except drowning them in maple syrup ? Here are a few creative and unique ways to serve your French toast :
- For that classic sweet and savory combo, pair them with silken tofu scramble. Or, if your taste buds are feeling adventurous, try serving them with this curry tofu scramble !
- Serve them alongside your favorite vegan bacon or sausage if you are craving something hearty and comforting.
- For a healthier option, serve them with a side of your favorite fruits. Some of my go-to includes berries, banana and apple slices.
- Spread a thick layer of peanut butter, cookie dough hummus or even some decadent chocolate hummus.
- You can even serve these vegan French toast as dessert with a big scoop of your favorite plant based ice-cream.
❔Commonly asked questions
For this eggless French toast, you can use any kinds of bread you have on hand, whether it is white, brown or gluten-free bread. If possible, use thicker slices and slightly stale bread as they will soak up the batter more readily.
This eggless French toast is freezable ! To freeze, first arrange them in a large plate or tray and place them in the freezer for a few hours, or until they are frozen. You can now transfer them into zip-top bags or sealed containers.
To reheat frozen French toast, simply toast them in an oven preheated to 200C / 400F for 8-10 minutes, until they are thoroughly heated, flipping halfway through.
Traditional ones are not vegan as the batter is primary made from eggs and milk. However, this French toast is naturally vegan as chickpea flour is used as a substitute for eggs, and plant based milk in place of regular milk.
They are a few reasons as to why your French toast turns out to be soggy, and here are the 2 main ones :
First of all, you might have added too much milk to your batter. The batter should have the texture somewhere between the batter of pancakes and crepes, pourable but not too runny. If you find that your batter is watery, add one tablespoon of chickpea flour at a time and mix well until desired consistency is achieved.
Other than that, your pan might have been too hot. This will cause your French toast to burn before it has the chance to crisp out, resulting in soggy bread. I find that medium heat is the sweet spot, resulting in nicely caramelize toast that is also thoroughly cooked and crispy.
If your French toast do turn out to be soggy, here is a simple solution - bake them in an oven preheated to 180c / 350F for about 5-10 minutes, or until they are crispy out the outside.
🍽More vegan breakfast / brunch recipes
If you did make this recipe, do leave a rating and comment down below, we love hearing from you! Subscribe to My Plantiful Cooking to get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest to get the latest updates. 😉
Eggless French Toast
- Prepare the batter by placing banana, milk, chickpea flour and ground flax into a blender and blend until a smooth. Transfer batter to a shallow bowl or deep plate that is large enough to fit your bread.
- Heat up a non-stick pan over medium heat and pour in a small amount of oil, just enough to coat the bottom of your pan. While waiting for pan to heat up, dip a slice of bread in the batter for 10-15 seconds on each side.
- Let it cook for 4-5 minutes on each sides, or until golden brown. Repeat for the rest and serve your French toast immediately.