Homemade vegan granola that is naturally sweetened with dates, making them sugar-free. Crunchy and has a rich peanut butter flavour.
Calling all peanut butter lovers out there ! I have the perfect granola recipe for you. This healthier version of peanut butter granola is crunchy and sweet, and I bet you can eat this everyday. 🙂
It is also super easy to make and only requires 7 ingredients and 1 hour. Make them on the weekends and you will have yourself breakfast ready to go for your busy mornings.
Helpful tips and tricks
- To make chunky granola - If you prefer your granola to be chunky, arrange them evenly but closely to allow clusters to form. You may want to stir them once, around the halfway mark.
- To make a more scattered granola - Alternatively, you can make a less/not clumpy granola by stirring them more frequently ( especially towards the end ). While stirring, you can also break the large pieces up to avoid them clumping together.
- Know when they are done baking - Granola will continue to bake and crisps up after pulling them out from the oven ! You can tell they are dome baking when they are golden brown in color.
Other variations and add-ins
- Dried fruit - Literally any dried fruit works well in this recipe ! Just remember to add it in after the granola is done baking.
- Nuts and seeds - I am using pumpkin seeds in this recipe, but feel free to swap it with other kinds of nuts/seeds.
- Chocolate chips - You can totally swap the cacao nibs for chocolate chips, or even use a combination of both.
- Nut butter - Peanut butter is used here, but you can try using another type of nut butter. Some of the nut butter I can think of are almond and cashew butter.
Storing + Freezing
Store granola in a jar / airtight container for up to a month at the counter top. I found out that freezing them actually preserves the freshness and crunchiness of granola. To freeze them, let them cool completely and transfer them to a zip lock bag / sealed container. Keep it in the freezer and store it for up to 3 months.
Ways to enjoy them
- Have it for breakfast like any other cereal with any plant-based milk of choice! ( Making your own plant based milk is actually very easy. Here is a blog post about how to make plant milk by Nutrition Stripped.
- Pair it with some plant-based yogurt and fresh fruit for a balanced snack.
- Add it as your topping in smoothie bowls
- Simply grab a handful of it when you are in a rush!
Commonly asked questions
You sure can ! Use gluten-free oats in place of regular oats and this recipe will be gluten-free.
You can simply swap the peanut butter in this recipe for other nuts / seeds butter. Some of the best alternative includes almond butter, cashew butter or sun butter. ( sunflower seed butter )
Granola will be in a golden brown color and slightly caramelized. It is perfectly fine if they are not crunchy the second you get them out from the oven ! They will continue to crisp up out of the oven.
More easy breakfast recipes that you may like :
- Vegan Peanut Butter Chickpea Blondies
- High Protein Vegan Waffles
- Banana and Peanut Butter Breakfast Oatmeal Bars
Vegan Crunchy Peanut Butter Granola
- 125 g dates about ¾ cup
- ⅓ cup water
- ⅓ cup peanut butter
- 2 cups oats*
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup coconut flakes*
- ¼ cup cacao nibs*
- Soak the dates in hot water for 20 mins to soften them . ( you can omit this step if your dates are moist and soft. )
- Preheat oven to 150 Celsius.
- Blend the dates and water in a high speed blender until smooth.
- In a bowl, mix the blended dates together with the peanut butter. In another bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients together.
- Mix in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Spread it onto a baking sheet and bake it in the oven for 20 mins
- After 20 mins, stir the granola.
- Bake it in the oven for another 10-20 mins until it turns golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Let it cool and enjoy!