This vanilla coconut bliss ball is a perfect healthy sweet treat to have on hand ! Naturally sweetened with dates, they are perfect as a snack or dessert .
I am currently obsessed with these mini no bake treats ! They are now a must have in my pantry and works really well as a midday pick-me-up or a healthy after dinner treat.
The best part is, they are so easy to make and you can literally make them in under 10 minutes. Plus, all you need is 5 simple ingredients and a high speed blender / food processor.
🍅 What you will need
- Rolled oats can be substituted with quick oats. Use gluten-free, if needed.
- I am using unsweetened desiccated coconut in this recipe, but you can choose to use the sweetened ones if you prefer them to be extra sweet !
Other add-ins ideas
This is a really versatile recipe, and I really encourage you to get creative with the add-ins ! Some of my favorite things to add in are :
- Chopped nuts - Especially chopped peanuts or cashews, they add a nice crunch factor to these date balls.
- Chia seeds - You can definitely add them in to bump up the healthy fats and fiber content in them.
- Cocoa / Cacao powder - They goes surprising well with coconut !
- Chocolate chips - Pretty self-explanatory. You can also use cacao nibs instead if you prefer it to be sugar-free.
🔪 How to make
Start by blending the cashews and oats in a high speed blender / food processor until a fine flour forms, around 60 seconds.
Then, add in the rest of the ingredients, together with 2 tablespoons of plant based milk into the food processor. Blend until everything is well mixed and a cookie dough like texture forms. Add more plant based milk if needed, a tablespoon at a time.
Scoop out a heaping tablespoon of dough and roll it into balls. Optionally, you can coat them by rolling them desiccated coconut. Repeat until the dough is all used up.
Let them set in the freezer for at least 30 minutes before enjoying them !
✅ Top tips
- If your mixture turns out to be too dry, add in more plant based milk, a tablespoon at a time.
- Similarly, if your mixture turns out to be too wet and sticky, add in some oat flour.
- Allow about 30 minutes for the balls to set and firm up in the fridge before enjoying it. ( You can of course skip this step, but I promise you it is worth the wait. 😉 )
- I recommend using a food processor or high speed blender to make them. They will definitely make your life easier !
❄ How to store
They can be stored pretty well in both the fridge and freezer. It all comes down to personal preference. If you prefer a softer, gooey-ier texture then I recommend you to keep them in the fridge. Personally, I like my date balls to be a bit firmer, thus I usually keep them in the freezer. They can be store in the fridge for 1 week, and in the freezer for up to 3 months.
❔ Commonly asked questions
Unsweetened coconut flakes are the best substitute for desiccated coconut. You can also choose to use the sweetened version, just bear in mind that they will turn out to be sweeter.
Yes. But you will need to use certified gluten-free oats as normal oats may be crossed-contaminated.
🍽 More healthy desserts
- Vegan Flourless Salted Caramel Chickpea Blondies
- Sugar-free Vegan Black Bean Brownies
- Quick and Eggless Low Sugar Peanut Butter Cookies
- Vegan Sweet Potato Brownie Cookies
Vegan Coconut Date Balls
- Start by soaking your dates in hot water for at least 20 minutes to soften them. Pit them and set aside.
- In a food processor / high speed blender, blend together rolled oats and cashews until fine powder forms.
- Place in the rest of the ingredients, including the dates together with 2 tablespoons of water and blend until smooth. You might need to add more water to achieve a sticky dough consistency, a tablespoon at a time.
- Portion out a heaping tablespoon of dough and roll it into a ball. Repeat until the dough is all used up.
- Let them chill in the freezer for 30 minutes and serve them up !
- Bliss balls can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Sweetened desiccated coconut can be used in place of unsweetened.