Vegan sweet potato brownie cookies that is gooey and decadent. Only 6 ingredients required , gluten-free & oil-free. A perfect sweet treat to end your day.
I know what most of you will think - how can sweet potatoes be baked into cookies and wouldn't it taste weird? But I am telling you now, you can absolutely make delicious cookies out of sweet potatoes! Sweet potatoes are moist and naturally sweet which works great as a cookie base. By adding in a few more ingredients, you can create that moist, perfect cookies that will satisfy your mid-afternoon sweet tooth cravings. 🙂
What you will need :
- Sweet potatoes - I am using Japanese sweet potato here as they are the sweetest variety of sweet potato you can get ! You can sub it with regular sweet potato, but I would recommend increasing the amount of dates used.
- Dates- I am choosing to use dates in this recipe to keep it refined sugar free. You can choose to use whichever types of dates. I am using medjool dates here.
- Cocoa powder- This is what gives the cookies a chocolat-y flavor. Feel free to use cacao powder in place, but I do find that they are less rich in flavor when compared to cacao powder.
- Peanut butter - To make this nut free, use sun butter or other seed butter in place. You can also use other nut butters. Some of my favorites nut butter to use are hazelnut and almond butter.
- Coconut flour - This is what keeps your cookies moist and gooey. This is because of their ability to hold on to moisture.
- Baking powder - Works as a rising agent in this recipe.
- Walnuts - Gives your cookies are really nice crunch ! They are also really high in healthy fats, which is a plus for me.
How to cook sweet potatoes :
How you cook your sweet potatoes will affect the texture of your dough.
There are mainly 4 ways you can cook your sweet potatoes - Baking, boiling, steaming and microwaving them them. I personally like baking them as this produced the most rich and concentrated flavors out of the 3 method. It also has a nice hint of caramelized flavor to it. Microwaving your sweet potatoes will also produced similar results as baking them.
If you prefer to steam or boil them, it will produce sweet potatoes that are slightly starchier and are less smooth compared to baking / microwaving them. I would recommend to use more sweetener ( in this case, dates ) and adding a few tablespoons of water or non-dairy milk to it.
Notes and other substitution ideas :
- To make this recipe paleo, simply swap the peanut butter for other kinds of nut butter. Similarly, you can make this recipe nut free by using sun butter or other seed butter.
- Feel free to add in anything you like into the cookies ! Chocolate chips, coconut flakes and crushed pecans just to name a few.
- The cookies can last in room temperature for 3 days, in the fridge for a week and in the freezer for up to 3 months. ( I personally really like eating the cookies straight out of the freezer, but don't judge until you tried it ! )
Here are more healthy sweet treats that you may like :
- Vegan Puffed Quinoa Chocolate Bliss Ball
- Vegan Matcha Energy Balls
- Vegan Chocolate Brownie Batter Dip
- Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
Sweet Potato Brownie Cookies
- 600 g peeled and cubed sweet potatoes, steamed until soft ( about 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes )
- 150 g dates, pitted ( about 1 cup )
- ¼ cup cocoa powder or cacao powder
- ½ cup peanut butter*
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- pinch of salt
Add-ins ( optional )
- a large handful of walnuts chopped
- Soak your dates in hot water for 20 minutes. ( You can omit this step if your dates are moist and soft enough )
- Preheat oven to 180c .
- Add the steamed sweet potatoes into a high speed blender or food processor. Pulse it into smaller chunks.
- Then, add the rest of the ingredients into the blender/food processor. Let it blend until all ingredients are well mixed. A cookie dough like texture will form.
- Stir in the walnuts, if using.
- Using a ⅛ cup measure, scoop out the mixture. Roll it into a ball and gently press down to flatten the dough. Repeat until all dough is used up.
- Bake it in the oven for 20-25 mins. Enjoy!