A homemade tomato pasta sauce that is healthy, easy and is ready in less than 30 minutes. Gluten-free options available and only requires 7 ingredients.
My mom used to make me tomato pasta frequently for dinner. Thus, making this pasta brings on my nostalgia almost every time. I was always looking forward to my mom's tomato pasta after a tiring day at school. There is nothing better than coming home to a comforting bowl of pasta !
What you will need :
- Tomatoes- They are of course, the main ingredient in this recipe ! I recommend using tomatoes that are really ripe and vibrant in colour as they are more rich in flavour.
- Garlic powder- this is a must in my opinion when it comes to savory dishes ! Garlic makes everything taste soooo much better.
- Onion powder- authentically, fresh onions are used. But to make this a quick and easy recipe, I am using onion powder instead.
- Tomato paste- it enriches the tomato flavour and makes the sauce more vibrant in colour.
- Italian mixed herbs - They are perfect for Italian inspired dishes like this ! Feel free to sub it with dried oregano.
- Maple syrup- Balanced out the acidity of tomatoes. If you prefer it to be sugar-free, leave it out or use date syrup instead.
How to make tomato pasta sauce from scratch
- Start by placing all ingredients in a pan/ skillet. Bring the mixture up to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium low and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the tomatoes have soften and the sauce have thicken.
- From here, you can choose to serve it up with some pasta. Alternatively, if you prefer a smoother pasta sauce, blend it using a blender or immersion blender. Bon appetit !
Can I use fresh herbs in place of dry herbs ?
Yes you can ! Feel free to substitute the Italian dry herbs with fresh oregano ( or any herbs you like ! ) The general ratio of dry herbs to fresh herbs is 1:3 . As I am using 1 teaspoon of dried herbs in this recipe, you will need to replace it with 3 teaspoons / 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh herbs.
How to store them
To store the pasta sauce, simply place it in a sealed container and it should last in the fridge for up to a week. To freeze them, transfer them into ziplock bags or freezer safe containers. They can store in the freezer for up to 3 months. This makes them a really great meal prep recipe, so feel free to double or triple the recipe and you will have homemade tomato sauce ready whenever you feel like having an Italian night.
Here are more vegan dinner recipes that you may like :
- Vegan Sweet and Sour Chickpeas
- Chinese Style Vegan Tofu Mince
- Crunchy Peanut Roasted Chickpeas
- Vegan Satay Skewers with Peanut Sauce
- Vegan Egg Fried Rice
- Easy Vegan Pesto by Natural Goodness
Simple Homemade Tomato Pasta Sauce
- 4 large ripe tomatoes diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Italian mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp maple syrup ( optional )
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by heating up the pan. Place all ingredients into the pan and and give it a stir. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium low and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes with the lid on, or until the tomatoes have soften and sauce has thicken. Remember to give it a stir occasionally. You may need to add a splash of water depending on the types of tomatoes that you are using.
- From here, you can choose to serve the tomato sauce as it is. Alternatively, blend it using a blender or immersion blender if you prefer a smoother sauce.