Moist and fluffy, this eggless coffee cake is topped with a crisp cinnamon streusel. It is made without sour cream and butter, making it naturally vegan and gluten-free, too! A great wholesome treat that is easy to make and ready in no time.
Ready to make some amazing eggless coffee cake that is top allergen friendly, oil-free, vegan that is topped with a sweet cinnamon-ly streusel topping? Read on!
💚Why you will love this recipe
- Moist, sweet and yummy - No need to compromise on taste for health! Although this eggless coffee cake is made from wholesome ingredients like oat flour and applesauce, it still taste AMAZING.
- Healthy and allergen-friendly - Eggless, dairy-free and gluten-free, this cake is made without butter, sour cream or wheat.
- Easy to make and beginner-friendly - No complicated steps involved and everything can be made in one bowl.
- Freezable - Store a batch in the freezer so you always have something ready to grab when the sweet craving hits.
- Versatile and can be enjoyed any time of the day - Have this applesauce coffee cake with your midday coffee, as a snack or dessert. (Guilty of eating it for breakfast!)
🌾Making oat flour
It is actually really easy to make your own homemade oat flour at home! All you need is some quick or rolled oats and a high speed blender.
Place oats into high speed blender and blend on high until oats are finely ground, about 30-60 seconds.
Transfer flour into an airtight container and it can be stored for 3 months. You will have oat flour ready to go whenever you need it!
🍎What you will need
📓Notes / substitutions
- Milk - Any kinds of plant based milk will work with the exception of coconut milk as it might affect the flavors of this eggless coffee cake.
- Coconut sugar - Feel free to use other granulated sugar in place like white or brown sugar. You can also use sugar substitutes, preferably erythritol.
- Sugar - Same as coconut sugar, you can use granulated sweetener of choice.
- Gluten-free - Make sure to use gluten-free oat flour, or make your own using gluten-free oats.
🔪How to make
Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
Make streusel topping by combining all ingredients needed.
In a large mixing bowl, add in all dry ingredients. (Oat flour, almond flour, coconut sugar, instant coffee and baking powder.) Stir until everything is well combined.
Add almond milk and applesauce into the bowl. Mix well until everything is well incorporated.
Pour the batter into a 8x8 square baking pan that have been greased or lined with parchment paper. Using a spatula, smooth out the edges. Sprinkle streusel evenly on top.
Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
Let eggless coffee cake cool for 10-15 minutes in the pan before slicing and serving.
- Measure flour properly. It is recommended to measure your flour using a food scale. Or, the next best practice is to spoon flour into your measuring cups, then level off excess. Do no scoop it out directly from the bag using your cups!
- Bake cake immediately. Baking powder will lost its effect if you let batter sit around for too long. This will affect the texture and rise of your eggless coffee cake.
- Avoid overbaking cake. The best way to tell if your cake is done baking is by inserting a toothpick in the middle. If toothpick comes out clean, your cake is done baking. But if there is a few wet crumbs, bake it for another few minutes before repeating the test.
- Heat leftover cake in the microwave for 10-15 seconds before serving. It taste the best when slightly warm!
❔Commonly asked questions
Let eggless coffee cake cool completely before storing it in a sealed container. It can be stored in room temperature for 2-3 days and in the fridge for up to a week. You can even freeze for up to 3 months.
If reheating it from frozen, let it defrost completely in the fridge overnight. You can then either reheat it in the microwave for 15-30 seconds, or in the oven at 180C / 350F for 5-8 minutes.
Yes, you can definitely portion them up into individual muffin tins or cups. Fill them to ¾ way full. You will make around 8-10 muffins.
Traditional coffee cakes are not vegan as they contains animal products like butter, milk and eggs. However, this version is vegan-friendly as it is free from eggs, milk, butter and sour cream.
The best substitute for instant coffee is espresso powder, or you can also use super fine ground coffee. Use decaf version if you want this coffee cake to be caffeine-free.
It is not recommended to use brewed coffee as this will mess up the ratios of wet ingredients to dry ingredients which alters the texture cake.
🍽More healthy vegan treats
If you did make this recipe, do leave a rating and comment down below, we love hearing from you! Subscribe to My Plantiful Cooking to get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest to get the latest updates. 😉
Eggless Applesauce Coffee Cake (no sour cream or butter)
- ¼ cup pecans chopped
- ¼ cup oat flour (use gluten-free if needed)
- ¼ cup sugar (or other granulated sweetener of choice)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Make streusel topping by combining all ingredients (pecans, oat flour, sugar and cinnamon powder). Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in all dry ingredients. (Oat flour, almond flour, coconut sugar, coffee granules and baking powder.) Stir until everything is well combined.
- Add almond milk and applesauce into the bowl. Mix well until everything is well incorporated.
- Pour the batter into a 8x8 square baking pan that have been greased or lined with parchment paper. Using a spatula, smooth out the edges. Sprinkle streusel evenly on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
- Let it cool for 10-15 minutes in the pan before slicing and serving.
Reheating - If reheating coffee cake from frozen, let it defrost completely in the fridge overnight. You can then either reheat it in the microwave for 15-30 seconds, or in the oven at 180C / 350F for 5-8 minutes.