Easy Vegan Black Bean Burgers ( no breadcrumbs! )
Healthy vegan black bean burgers that are really easy to make yet super flavourful ! No breadcrumbs needed, and is ready in 30 mins.
I have been obsessed with this vegan black bean burgers lately ! They are one of the staples I always have on hand as they are simply so versatile. And the best part is, they do not fall apart or crumble easily .
Other than that, this black bean burger recipe is also one of the easiest out there. All you need is 10 ingredients and 30 mins. They are freezer-friendly too, thus perfect for meal prep.
So, what exactly is black bean burgers ?
For those of you who are new to plant based / vegan recipes, you may be unfamiliar with black bean burgers. As the name implies, black bean burgers mainly consist of black beans, and oftentime contains grains of some kinds ( I am using oats in this recipe ) to hold up the burger better. Walnuts is also used in this recipe to give the burgers a meaty like taste. They are a very popular among vegans and vegetarians as a meatless burger substitute.
What you will need
- black beans ( duh ! )
- rolled oats ( use gluten-free, if needed )
- flax egg ( as a binder )
- onion & garlic
- frozen/fresh/canned corn kernels
- miso paste ( optional, for that extra umami flavour )
How to make
- Preheat the oven to 200c / about 400 degrees, if you decide to bake them.
- In the meantime, saute the onion in the pan until nicely caramelised, for about 4-5 mins. Add in the garlic and saute for another 1-2 mins.
- Start by blending the walnuts and rolled oats in the food processor until finely grounded.
- Add in 2 cups of black beans, salt and pepper and process again until almost smooth. It is ok to leave some chunks in it.
- Add in the remaining 1 cup of black beans. Give it a few pulse to break the whole black beans into smaller pieces. You can also skip this step if you prefer your burgers to be chunkier.
- Stir in the corn kernels.
- Shape it into desire size. I find that 1/3 cup of mixture is the sweet spot. Unlike normal meat patties, these vegan black bean burgers do not shrink after cooking !
- Now, you can choose to bake, grill or pan fried them ! You will need to bake them for 20 mins, giving them a flip halfway through. If you are grilling or pan frying them, cook each sides for 3-5 mins, or until slightly browned.
How to store + freeze
You can store black bean burgers in the fridge for up to 4 days. And the good news is, you can totally freeze them ! To freeze them, you first place the patties on a tray in a single layer and place them in the freezer for 2 hours. Then, you can transfer them into a ziploc bag or a freezer safe container. That way, all you need to do is just reheat them in the microwave / oven when you are craving burgers !
Here are more recipes using black beans :
- Healthy Vegan Black Bean Brownies
- 30 minutes black beans and rice by My Darling Vegan
- Vegan Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup by Emilie Eats
- Vegan Burrito by Loving It Vegan
- Easy Vegan Burrito Bowls by Pinch Of Yum
Easy Vegan Black Bean Burgers ( no breadcrumbs ! )
- 2 ( 14 oz ) canned black beans, drained ( or about 3 cups cooked )
- 1 cup rolled oats ( use gluten-free if needed )
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 flax egg **
- 1 small red onion sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon miso paste ( optional )
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup frozen/canned/fresh corn kernels
- Preheat oven to 200c / 400f .
- Heat up some oil in a pan. Saute the onion for about 4-5 minutes, or until the onions are soft and slightly caramelised. Then, add in the garlic and saute it for another 1-2 minutes . Set aside.
- Place the oats and walnuts into a food processor and blend until they are finely grounded. Then, add in 2 cups of black beans, miso paste, salt, black pepper and the caramelised onion and garlic into the food processor. Process again until almost smooth.
- Add in the remaining 1 cup of black beans into the food processor and give it a few pulse. Then, stir in the corn kernels.
- Divide the mixture into 6-8 parts and shape them into patties.
- Bake them in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Pair them with your favourite burger buns and toppings !