A quick and easy crunchy roasted chickpeas recipe that is vegan, oil-free, gluten-free and healthy. Only 7 ingredients required and easy to make.
For those of you who don't know, I am literally OBSESSED with chickpeas. High in protein and cheap, they are one of my go-to protein sources.
Peanut butter is also one of those things I cannot live without. Although it is commonly paired with sweet dishes, they are also a perfect addition to savory foods.
Well, back to the recipe . The marinade is inspired by the peanut sauce that is used as a dip for satays ( satays are one of the most popular street foods in Malaysia. It is basically skewered and grilled meat ). The marinade used is basically the simplify and healthier version of it.
The part that you have to plan ahead is marinating the chickpeas. I recommend marinating for at least an hour if you are short on time. Well, the general rule is the longer you marinate, the more flavourful the chickpeas. I really like marinating my chickpeas the night before. That way, my chickpeas will be marinating for at least 10 hours when I have them for lunch.
Here are some of my favourite ways to enjoy roasted chickpeas :
- Use them as a salad topper -They provide extra crunch to salads and generally make them much more filling.
- Pair them with some roasted veggies and grains to make it a meal - Chop up some veggies and roast them together with the chickpeas. Pair them with some grains and some sort of source to make an Instagramable Buddha bowl.
- Have them as a snack - I am definitely on team savory when it comes to snack. The additional protein in them is a big bonus to me !
Here are more chickpea recipes that you may like -
Peanut Butter Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 15 oz canned chickpeas ( or 11/2 cups cooked chickpeas )
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup ( or any other sweetener )
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce*
- 1 teaspoon vinegar of choice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper ( optional )
- Combine all ingredients except the chickpeas in small mixing bowl. This will be your marinade.
- Using a kitchen towel, gently pat dry the chickpeas.
- Pour the marinade over the chickpeas and stir to coat well. Let it sit for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200c.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper or baking paper. Spread the chickpeas on the baking tray.
- Let it bake for about 20-25 mins, or until the chickpeas turn dark golden in colour.
- Enjoy it while hot !