Vegan BBQ Seitan Ribs
Incredibly juicy, sticky and succulent, these amazing vegan BBQ seitan ribs will please even non-vegans! They are easy to make, fuss-free and ready in no time. Plus, it is incredibly high in protein, filling and satisfying.
Servings 6 servings
Start by preheating oven to 200C/400F. Lightly grease a 7x11 or 8x8 inches baking pan with cooking oil.
Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
1 ½ cup vital wheat gluten, ¼ cup nutritional yeast, 1 ½ teaspoon onion powder, 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
Then, add in all wet ingredients along with ¼ cup of BBQ sauce and mix until a dough forms. Knead dough for about 30 seconds to a minute.
1 cup water, 2 tablespoons tahini, 1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce, 1 ½ teaspoons liquid smoke
Transfer seitan dough to a 7x11 inches or 8x8 inches baking dish. Using your hands, press dough to evenly spread it into the pan. Slice dough into 12-16 pieces, depending on how wide you want the ribs to be.
Bake for 20 minutes, then spread ½ cup of BBQ sauce on and bake for another 10 minutes. When the time is up, flip it and spread another ½ cup of sauce on the other side. Bake it again for 10-15 minutes until sticky.
Let seitan ribs cool down and rest for at least 30 minutes before serving.
* Tahini - Provide extra richness and improve texture of vegan ribs. You can use almond butter in place, or 1 tablespoon neutral-tasting oil.
Making on grill - Bake seitan for 30 minutes without any sauce on. Let it cool for 10-15 minutes, then remove it from pan. Brush on BBQ sauce, then cook it in a grill or grill pan for 3-4 minutes on each sides, or until ribs are nicely charred.
Storing - Let seitan ribs cool down before transferring them to a sealed container. They can be refrigerated for 4-5 days. Portion them accordingly in sealed containers and they will last in the freezer for up to a month.
Reheating - To reheat from frozen, let vegan ribs thaw completely overnight in the fridge, or on countertop for a few hours. Brush on some BBQ sauce. You can proceed on heating them in a pan or on grill.
For a quicker version, you can first thaw them using your microwave's "defrost" function, before heating them on high at 15 seconds spurts, or until thoroughly heated.
- It is highly recommended to weigh out dry ingredients using a kitchen scale for the best result. Simply click on the "metric" button in the recipe card below to convert the unit to metric.
- Dough for this vegan ribs will be slightly softer and wetter than normal seitan dough as we will be baking instead of steaming or boiling it.
- Avoid kneading dough for too long! The more you knead it, the more the gluten develop, and your ribs will turn out to be tough and dry.
- Do let seitan ribs rest for at least 30 minutes before serving. The texture will get even better if you refrigerate overnight and serve the day after!
Calories: 260kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 880mg | Potassium: 278mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 711IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 77mg | Iron: 3mg