Creamy Dark Chocolate Hummus
Rich, creamy, and decadent, this dark chocolate hummus is a must-have dip to have on hand! It is super easy to make and is ready in 5 minutes. Incredibly versatile and pairs well with crackers, fruits, and toast.
Servings 24 tablespoons
- 1 ½ cup cooked chickpeas about a 15 oz can (see notes)*
- ¼-1/3 cup maple syrup **
- ¼ cup peanut butter or any other nut / seed butter
- ¼ cup cocoa powder or cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract ( optional )
Place all ingredients into the blender or high speed food processor along with 2 tablespoons of water.
Blend for a good few minutes, until mixture is silky smooth. Add more water, a tablespoon at a time, if needed.
*Chickpeas - Both chickpeas cooked from scratch or canned chickpeas will work in this recipe. Refer to the section in the post above on "best chickpeas for hummus" for the full detailed guide on how to cook chickpeas from dry.
**Maple syrup - You can substitute it with agave syrup or date syrup. You can even use 5-6 large medjool dates (about 125g/4.4 oz) in place.
Storing - Keep dark chocolate hummus in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to a week.
You can also freeze extras too! Portion it out into small containers so you will only be taking out what you need. They can be frozen for 3 months.
When ready to enjoy, let it thaw in the fridge overnight. Give it a good stir before serving. Optionally, you can run it in the blender for a few seconds to restore its creaminess.
- If you are using canned chickpeas, make sure to use unsalted ones. Leave salted chickpeas for savory dishes like kung pao chickpeas instead!
- To make ultra-smooth and creamy hummus, blend the mixture for a good few minutes.
- I highly recommend using a good quality cocoa powder if you can. It really makes a huge difference! I am using and loving the Cocoa Extra Brute by Cacao Barry.
Calories: 44kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 14mg | Potassium: 69mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 3IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 11mg | Iron: 1mg