Sugar-free Vegan Black Bean Brownies
These super fudgy & decadent vegan black bean brownies are naturally sweetened with dates, healthy & gluten-free ! A really great healthy dessert to have.
- 1 cup rolled / quick oats ( use gluten-free oats if necessary )
- 2 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed ( about 3 cups cooked )
- 1 ½ cups dates ( about 260 g )
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup peanut butter ( or other nut / seed butter )*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup plant based milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- chocolate chips to top
If your dates are dry, start by soaking them in boiling hot water for 20 minutes to soften them up. Skip this if your dates are fresher and moist.
Preheat oven to 180 c / 300 F. Lightly grease or line a 8x8 square baking pan.
In a food processor, place in rolled oats and blend until a flour like consistency forms, about 30 seconds.
Place the rest of the ingredients and blend until a smooth batter forms. Feel free to stir in some chocolate chips.
Transfer the batter to the baking pan. Using the back of a spoon or spatula, smooth out the batter. Optionally, top it with more chocolate chips.
Bake it in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out fairly clean. A few crumbs left is generally ok.
Let the vegan black bean brownies cool to room temperature in the pan before slicing into it and enjoy !
* Peanut butter can be substituted with almond butter, hazelnut butter or cashew butter. To make this nut-free, use tahini, pumpkin seed butter or sunflower seed butter in place of peanut butter.
Store leftover in the fridge for up to 4 days. The brownies can also be frozen for up to 3 months. To do so, store brownie slices in a sealed container, and do line each layer with parchment paper to prevent them from sticking together.
To reheat, let them thaw at room temperature for a few hours. You can then enjoy them cold, or warm them up in the microwave / oven if you prefer the brownies to be warm.
Calories: 153kcalCarbohydrates: 24gProtein: 6gFat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 96mgPotassium: 296mgFiber: 5gSugar: 10gVitamin A: 3IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 56mgIron: 1mg