Asian Vegan Brown Rice Salad
This vegan Asian rice salad is crunchy, light & super flavorful, yet is also really filling & satisfying ! Easy to throw together & is ready under 30 mins.
Servings 4 servings
For the sesame soy sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
For the salad
- ½ cup frozen edamame
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups cooked brown rice *
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- ½ medium carrot shredded
- ½ medium red pepper diced
Boil edamame in hot water for 1-2 minutes, or until they are thoroughly heated.
½ cup frozen edamame
To make the sauce, simply combine all ingredients needed.
1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce , 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, 2 teaspoons sesame oil
In a large salad bowl, place the veggies and rice in, then toss in the sauce. Toss until everything is thoroughly incorporated and well mixed. Give it a taste and add more seasonings, if needed.
2 cloves garlic , ½ cup frozen edamame
Optionally, top this vegan brown rice salad with more sesame seeds before serving.
*Brown rice - You can use other variety of rice in place, like Jasmine rice, white rice or wild rice. Avoid using short grain rice or sushi rice as they tend to stick and clump together easily.
**Oil-free - Omit sesame oil in the dressing, and optionally top vegan rice salad with some toasted sesame seeds instead.
Storing - Vegan rice salad will store in the fridge for 4-5 days in a sealed container. However, you will need to warm it up slightly after refrigerating as the texture of rice will change and turn hard and crunchy after chilling. Microwave for 15-30 seconds until salad is somewhat warm.
- Make sure to use cooled rice - Warm rice will not hold their shape well and you most likely will end up with a clumpy salad. To cool down freshly cooked rice, spread them thinly on a baking sheet and let it cool to room temperature before using.
- Similarly, avoid using cold rice - If you are using leftover rice, heat it up slightly in the microwave for 15-30 seconds before using. Cold rice tends to be hard, crunchy and simply unpleasant.
- If you have some extra time on hand, let your salad sit and marinate for around 30 minutes before serving to allow time for your veggies and rice to soak up the delicious dressing.
- This vegan rice salad is best served at room temperature.
Calories: 183kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 389mg | Potassium: 279mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1757IU | Vitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 1mg