Chipotle Fresh Tomato Salsa (Copycat)
Make your own Chipotle fresh tomato salsa at home with just 5 simple ingredients! It is vibrant, refreshing, and incredibly addictive to have. This super chunky & flavorful salsa is a great condiment for chips, burritos, tacos, and more!
Servings 8 ¼ cup serving
- 1 pound tomatoes cored and finely diced *
- ½ red onion finely diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers **
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves chopped ***
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or to taste)
- ½ tablespoon maple syrup ( optional )
- salt, to taste
Simply combine all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix well. Give it a taste and add more seasonings, if needed.
Serve immediately, or let it sit in the fridge for a few hours to really let the flavors develop !
*Tomatoes - I highly recommend using high-quality, vine-ripen tomatoes. If possible, use tomatoes with lower water content, like Roma, plum, or beefsteak tomatoes.
** Jalapeño peppers - If sensitive to heat, reduce the amount used and remove the seeds. Or, you can substitute it with green peppers instead. For a spicier version, use serrano peppers in place.
***Cilantro - If you can't stand cilantro, simply omit it, or substitute it with parsley.
- Remove seeds and pulp of tomatoes to prevent watery salsa, as most of the water is stored in the seeds and pulp. This step is optional but highly recommended if you use tomatoes with higher water content.
- Use gloves while coring and chopping the jalapeno peppers if you have sensitive hands.
- If your salsa turns out to be more watery than your liking, strain it with a colander. You might have to add more lime/lemon juice and salt to bring back the flavors lost.
- If you have some extra time on hand, let the salsa sit for 10-15 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to develop.
- Adjust the ratio of the ingredients to your liking! Add more lime/lemon juice for tanginess, salt for saltiness, maple syrup for sweetness, and jalapenos for spiciness.
- Leftover salsa will last in the fridge for up to 3 days but bear in mind that it will turn more watery the longer it sits.
Calories: 18kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 4mg | Potassium: 161mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 545IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 1mg