These healthier version of peanut butter cookies are super decadent and yummy! Only 5 simple ingredients required, vegan & can be made gluten-free.
Ever since I discovered these cookies, I cannot. stop. eating. them. I am literally having these vegan peanut butter cookies after every meal. ( I am the type of person that needs to have something sweet after every meal. Why not ? )
This one bowl cookie recipe only requires 5 simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry and 30 mins. And the bonus is, your kitchen will definitely smell amazing when baking these cookies.
What you will need
- Peanut butter - Obviously, you need peanut butter to make peanut butter cookies.
- Oats - I am using rolled oats, but you can use quick oats if that is what you have. As I am using oats to make oat flour, you can simply substitute the oats with 3/4 cup oat flour.
- Granulated sugar - I am using soft brown sugar. Although I have yet experience with other types of sugar, I am sure any sugar works fine in this recipe. To make this healthier, you can use coconut sugar, but the cookies will turn out to be darker in colour.
- Flax egg - the binder in this recipe. To make flax egg, simply combine 1 tablespoon of grounded flax seed and 3 tablespoons of water and let it thicken.
- Baking powder.
Natural Peanut Butter vs Conventional Peanut Butter
I am using natural peanut butter here ( peanut butter that only contains peanut and/or salt ) , not the conventional ones which oftentimes contains palm oil. Natural peanut butters are more liquid-y, while the conventional ones are more creamy and light.
It is actually very easy to make homemade peanut butter. All you will need is peanuts and a high speed blender / food processor. Here is a blog post by pinch of yum, 5 minutes homemade peanut butter that goes into details about making your own peanut butter.
How to store
After baking, let the cookies cool down to room temperature on a cooling rack. Then, transfer them to an air tight container. They can last for 2-3 weeks, but I am sure that they will be gone by then !
Notes and other tips
- For a chewier cookie, try baking them at a lower temperature ( I recommend 150c ) .
- On the flip side, if you are looking for a crunchier cookie, bake them longer ( about 20-25 mins ) until the edges turn into a darker golden brown colour. Keep a close eye on them to avoid burning your cookies.
- You can substitute the granulated sugar with liquid sweetener ( maple syrup, agave syrup ). But this will result in a chewier cookie.
- To make this recipe gluten-free, simply use gluten-free oats instead.
Here are more healthy sweet treats that you may like :
Vegan Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 cup rolled / quick oats*
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 tbsp ground flax / chia seeds
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar** ( or any granulated sugar of choice )
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt ( optional, only if using unsalted peanut butter )
- Preheat oven to 180 c
- Start by making the flax egg. Combine the ground flax seeds with 3 tablespoon of water. Set aside.
- Place the oats into a high speed blender / food processor. Blend for 30-60 s, or until the oats resembles a flour like texture.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients ( including the flax egg ) . By using your hands, mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Scoop up one tablespoon of cookie dough at a time and roll them into balls. Using the back of a fork, make a crisscross indent on the cookie . Repeat for all cookies.
- Arrange them on a lined baking tray and bake them for 15-18 minutes, or until the edges of cookies are slightly golden.
- Let it cool of a bit and enjoy !