This cheesy and creamy potato cauliflower & broccoli soup is not only vegan, but super healthy too. A delicious way to sneak in tons of veggies!
I am not a huge fan of soups, but on the rare occasion that I crave some, this recipe is definitely my go-to. It is hearty, creamy and really comforting to have, literally a hug in a bowl.
Like my cream of spinach soup, it is also a really good ( and delicious ) way to sneak in tons of veg !
And the best part is, you can make it oil-free too ! The detailed instruction will be listed down below and in the recipe card.
🥔What you will need
- I am using fresh broccoli, but feel free to use frozen ones too.
- To make the soup more vibrant in color, I also added in some turmeric powder. Plus it is a really great way to get in some extra nutrients !
- I am using Russet potatoes, but russet or red potatoes will work equally well.
🔪 How to make
Heat up a tablespoon of neutral-tasting oil in a large soup pan / Dutch oven. ( I am using olive oil). Alternatively, heat up ¼ cup of broth / water in place of the oil to make this oil-free.
Saute the onion until translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
Then, add in the garlic, thyme and rosemary. Saute for another 1-2 minutes, or until the garlic is fragrant.
Pour in the vegetable broth along with the bay leaves, nutritional yeast, potatoes and cauliflower florets. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat to a gentle simmer. Cook with the lid on for 10-15 minutes until the potatoes and cauliflowers are fork-tender, giving it a stir every 5 minutes or so.
Remove the bay leave from the mixture. Blend until smooth. I am using my Vitamix, but you can use an immersion blender instead.
Pour the soup back into the pot ( If you are blending it with a blender) and bring the mixture to a boil again. Add in the sliced carrots and broccoli. Cook for another 10 minutes, or until the broccoli an carrots have softened.
It is now ready to be enjoyed !
✔ Helpful Tips + variations
- You can keep the soup chunkier by blending only half of it. I personally love a smooth soup.
- The broccoli can be substituted with leeks instead to make a broccoli leek soup.
🍴How to serve
- Serve it with some homemade bread like this vegan soda bread, no knead artisan bread or vegan dinner rolls.
- To give some crunch factor, top it with these peanut butter roasted chickpeas or whole wheat crackers.
- Serve it with a side of salad like this tomato cucumber salsa quinoa salad or easy vegan chopped salad to get in some extra veggies.
- Vegan grilled cheese goes really well with it too !
❄ Storing + Freezing
This recipe actually freezes really well, as we are not using any dairy products. So do double or triple the recipe so you will have some freezer meal ready to go on busy days !
This soup can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days, and in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To freeze, let it cool down to room temperature, then portion it out into small freezable containers.
To reheat, let the soup thaw in the fridge overnight, then heat it on stove until it is hot and all warmed up.
Alternatively, you can reheat it in the microwave.
If you did make this recipe, it will be awesome if you would leave a rating and review in the comments ! Do tag me on instagram @myplantifulcooking, I would really love to see your recreations. 🙂
🍽 More cozy vegan recipes
- Vegan Thai Red Curry with Tofu and Veggies
- Healthy Vegan Broccoli Mushroom Rice Casserole
- Instant Pot Coconut Mansoor Dal Tadka
Healthy Vegan Broccoli Cauliflower Potato Soup
- 1 /2 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium russet potatoes * ( about 1 lb or 500g )
- ½ head broccoli** cut into small florets ( about 2 cups )
- ½ head small cauliflower cut into florets ( about 2 cups )
- 1 medium carrot sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary ( optional )
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat up a tablespoon of neutral tasting oil in a Dutch oven / soup pot. ( Omit the oil and use ¼ cup of vegetable broth instead to make it oil-free. ) Place in the onion and saute for 3-4 minutes, or until translucent.
- Next, add in the garlic together with the thyme and rosemary, if using. Saute for another 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add in the cauliflower, potato, bay leaves and broth into the pot. Bring it to a boil, then lower the heat to a gentle simmer. Cook with the lid on for 10-15 minutes, or until the veggies are tender, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Stir in the nutritional yeast and puree the soup until smooth. Alternatively, you can puree them in a blender, but be caution when handling hot liquids.
- Bring the soup to a boil once more. Add in the carrot and broccoli and cook for another 8-10 minutes, or until the broccoli and carrot have softened.
- Serve it up and enjoy while hot !