Homemade Peanut Butter Granola ( Vegan + Gluten-free )
A homemade granola recipe that only require 7 ingredients, and is naturally sweetened with dates. Healthy, vegan, dairy-free and can be made gluten-free.
Cereal is one of the most popular breakfast food of all time, AM I RIGHT!? I used to have a gigantic bowl of Koko Krunch (If you know, you know :p) with a large glass of milk literally everyday. Well, what is granola? Granola the ” healthier ” version of cereal. Some of its main ingredients are rolled oats, nuts or seeds, oil of some kind and honey or other sweeteners.
This version of granola is a healthier version of store-bought granola, which are often loaded with sugar and refined oil. Instead of using the common sugar, I am using dates, which provides extra fibre and micronutrients . And I had replaced the oil with peanut butter, which also provides additional protein alongside with some fats to make it more balanced. ( And also, who does not like peanut butter??) Although this recipe is healthy, there is no health taste to it. ( if you know what I mean ) This recipe is not only good for you, but also flavourful and delicious! Crunchy and sweet, eating them is a perfect way to start off your day :p
Is this homemade vegan granola healthy ?
Dare I say, this vegan granola recipe is actually very healthy ! It is naturally sweetened using dates, making it refined sugar-free. It is also oil-free for those who do not consume oil, and also can be made gluten-free. In terms of nutrients content, you have protein and healthy fats from the peanut butter, while oats contains a powerful insoluble fibre ( beta-glucan ) that may lower your bad cholesterol.
How to make this easy homemade granola
- Start by blending your dates in a high speed blender until a paste like texture forms.
- Combine all your wet ingredients ( date paste and peanut butter ) . Mix well.
- Add in your dry ingredients ( oats, pumpkin seeds, cacao nibs and coconut flakes ) into your wet ingredients and mix until it is well incorporated.
- Bake it in the preheated oven.
- Serve and enjoy !
Here are some of my favourite ways to enjoy granola :
- Have it for breakfast like any other cereal with any plant-based milk of choice! ( Making your own plant based milk is actually very easy. Here is a blog post about how to make plant milk by Nutrition Stripped.
- Pair it with some plant-based yogurt and fresh fruit for a balanced snack.
- Add it as your topping in smoothie bowls
- Simply grab a handful of it when you are in a rush!
Here are more easy vegan breakfast recipes :
- Vegan Peanut Butter Chickpea Blondies
- High Protein Vegan Waffles
- Banana and Peanut Butter Breakfast Oatmeal Bars
Vegan Crunchy Peanut Butter Granola
- 125 g dates about 3/4 cup
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 2 cups oats*
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes*
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs*
- Soak the dates in hot water for 20 mins to soften them . ( you can omit this step if your dates are moist and soft. )
- Preheat oven to 150 Celsius.
- Blend the dates and water in a high speed blender until smooth.
- In a bowl, mix the blended dates together with the peanut butter. In another bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients together.
- Mix in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Spread it onto a baking sheet and bake it in the oven for 20 mins
- After 20 mins, stir the granola.
- Bake it in the oven for another 10-20 mins until it turns golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Let it cool and enjoy!